Ceres In The News
Listing of news clips featuring Ceres and our work.
Fox News: Rising Sea Levels Pose Threat to East Coast
Jun 26, 2012
- FOX 25's Mark Ockerbloom talks with Mindy Lubber, the President of Ceres, about the rising sea levels and the possible threats the elevated waters pose to the East Coast.
The Bakersfield Californian: Ask reinsurers about climate change
Jul 09, 2012
- It's hard to pin a single event -- like the heat wave that's gripped the Mid-Atlantic for the past week -- on climate change. But some of the predicted impacts of global warming made by climate scientists over the past decade can no longer be ignored
Environmental Finance: Shareholders make Apple, Colgate, Dell act on sustainability
Jul 11, 2012
- Shareholder resolutions have spurred companies to made commitments to tackle environmental and social risks in their operations and supply chains in 44 out of 108 cases tracked by Ceres in 2012.
GreenBiz: NASDAQ to promote sustainability disclosure
Jul 18, 2012
- One accomplishment reached at Rio+20 was an agreement by five members of the Sustainable Stock Exchanges initiative to promote reporting on environmental, social, and corporate governance risks and opportunities by listed companies.
Investors keep climate- change strategies despite uncertainty
Jul 25, 2012
- A majority of investors have retained and boosted their climate change investment strategies despite economic and political uncertainties, according to a new report.
Forbes: Coal-Fired Carbon Emissions Fall As Transition To Cleaner Energy Accelerates
Aug 01, 2012
- Thanks to cheap natural gas and a boom in renewable energy, the U.S. is accelerating a shift away from coal-fired power plants, resulting in falling emissions of carbon dioxide and other harmful pollutants.
Houston Chronicle: In the dark in assessing financial risk of offshore disasters
Aug 06, 2012
- Ceres analyzed safety and environmental risk disclosures in the regulatory filings of 10 big energy companies, including BP, Chevron and Exxon Mobil and found that seven provided no information on the development of safety programs. The other three offered only broad statements about safety but no data or details.
The Houston Chronicle: Expiration of tax credit threatens wind industry
Aug 14, 2012
- For years, the federal government has supported innovation in the energy sector, funding everything from advanced drilling techniques to more efficient turbine design.
Ethical Corporation: New rigorous ratings tools help investors and companies
Aug 17, 2012
- The Global Initiative for Sustainability Ratings offers an opportunity for credible corporate performance assessment.
The New York Times: Will Emissions Disclosure Mean Investor Pressure on Polluters?
Aug 27, 2012
- New reports and financial tools are encouraging greater disclosure from companies while, hopefully, also pushing investors to build more responsible portfolios.
Romney Needs to Make a U-Turn on Fuel Standards
Aug 29, 2012
- The Obama administration's fuel-economy standards, finalized today, highlight the stark choice voters face this November about the path of U.S. energy policy.
Colorado Springs Gazette: The least costly, most efficient solution for the Springs
Sep 05, 2012
- Saving electricity is the lowest cost, cleanest and least risky resource available to utilities. Increasing energy efficiency provides important co-benefits including local job creation, water savings, and reduced air pollution.
Global Warming Ascends Agenda of Socially Responsible Investors
Sep 11, 2012
- Among public pension funds in the U.S., the large California plans have long been the most public and progressive when it comes to considering the impact of environment, social matters and corporate governance, on their investment portfolio. Increasingly they are not alone.
Complaints are few as fuel efficiency rises
Sep 12, 2012
- The auto industry continues to be a strong supporter of the Obama Obama administration’s recently announced 54.5-mile-per-gallon fuel standard for cars by 2025.
Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's join lobby push for wind credit
Sep 18, 2012
- Businesses that support wind power are turning up the pressure on Congress to extend a tax incentive for the industry before it expires at the end of the year.
Insurers Pressed to Take Lead in Tempering Climate Risk
Sep 20, 2012
- U.S. property-casualty insurers should take a leadership role in preparing for climate-change risks as severe weather becomes more frequent, a lobbying group said.
Utilities expert urges shift in power sources
Sep 25, 2012
- As a historic drought drives attention to climate change, Ron Binz, a consultant and 30-year veteran of public power, came to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Monday afternoon with a daunting and urgent message on energy.
In New Orleans, Entergy Prepares for the Next Big One
Oct 05, 2012
- The power utility Entergy (ETR), which serves 2.8 million customers along the Gulf Coast and in Arkansas, announced that it had developed a new framework to compensate landowners for preserving swamps as part of one of the more aggressive climate risk management plans in the country.
Report Points to Insurance Industry’s Vulnerability to Climate Change
Oct 10, 2012
- A new report from Ceres urges the insurance industry to act to protect itself and the community against the increasing frequency of extreme weather due to climate change.
Food, Water Shortages Should Alarm All Investors
Oct 10, 2012
- Sustainability needs to be embraced by all investors and integrated across capital markets if the world is to address its most pressing problems.