Banking and Finance
Reports concerning sustainability issues and the banking and finance sector.
A Toolkit for Foundations and Individual Investors: Harnessing Your Investments to Help Solve the Climate Crisis
Nov 08, 2008
- November 2008 - Given that climate risks and opportunities are embedded in all asset classes – including equities, fixed income, real estate and alternative investments – there is a growing demand among foundation endowments and individual investors for actions they can take to respond to climate change. This document provides a brief overview of available steps.
Ceres Sustainability Report 2006
Jun 08, 2008
- June 2008 - Ceres Sustainability Report enables our organization to “walk the talk” and serve as a model for other 501 (c) (3) non-profit organizations and small businesses looking to improve their own transparency—illustrating that reporting can be a beneficial process for any organization, regardless of size or type. The process of evaluating our own organization’s infrastructure drives the Ceres staff to improve our own performance and enables us to engage with stakeholders more effectively and from a position of understanding and experience. This is Ceres' fourth sustainability report that details our operations and key impact areas for 2006.
2007 Ceres-ACCA Reporting Awards Judges Report
Apr 08, 2008
- April 2008 - This year, the sustainability reports submitted to the awards were also analyzed against the Global Framework for Climate Risk Disclosure, a multi-stakeholder disclosure standard developed through a partnership of 14 leading investors, the Global Reporting Initiative, and the Carbon Disclosure Project.
2008 Investor Summit on Climate Risk Final Report
Apr 08, 2008
- April 2008 - To consider the scale and urgency of the climate challenge and how investors can advance solutions, Ceres, the United Nations Foundation, and the UN Fund for International Partnerships co-hosted the third Investor Summit on Climate Risk at the United Nations on February 14, 2008. More than 450 investors, representing over $22 trillion in assets, participated in the Summit.
Managing the Risks and Opportunities of Climate Change: A Practical Toolkit for Investors
Apr 08, 2008
- April 2008 - The next 50 years will require a massive shift to cleaner energy sources and technologies to avoid unmanageable climate disruption. This toolkit is designed to help investors begin to comprehensively address climate risks and opportunities in four key areas: internal statements, policies, and governance; engagement with companies, investors, and others; investment practices; public policy support.
Mutual Funds and Climate Change: Opposition to Climate Change Begins to Thaw
Apr 08, 2008
- April 2008 - This report is the fourth by Ceres examining the mutual fund industry’s proxy voting practices on climate change shareholder resolutions. This new analysis of the voting records of 1,285 mutual funds from 62 leading mutual fund firms indicates that the industry’s previously icy attitude on climate resolutions is beginning to thaw, and that many on Wall Street are starting to realize the financial risks and opportunities from climate change.
Investor Progress on Climate Risks & Opportunities: Results Achieved Since the 2005 Investor Summit on Climate Risk
Feb 08, 2008
- February 2008 - This report reviews the substantial progress that investors have made toward the objectives in the 2005 INCR Action Plan, including clean technology investments, shareholder resolutions, development of the Global Framework for Climate Risk Disclosure and successful engagement with Congress and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Corporate Governance and Climate Change: The Banking Sector
Jan 15, 2008
- January 2008 - This report analyzes the corporate governance and strategic approaches of 40 of the world's largest banks to the challenges and opportunities posed by climate change. The financial community is at the center of this economic transformation. With nearly $6 trillion in market capitalization, banks are the world's major capital providers and risk management experts. As such, banks have a vital role in finding timely, practical and cost-effective solutions to mitigate climate change and adapt the economy to its already apparent effects.
Facility Reporting Project: Guide to Stakeholder Engagement
Nov 09, 2007
- November 2007 - Developed in collaboration with the U.S. EPA and Industrial Economics, this document provides detailed guidance to companies on how to engage local stakeholders as part of developing a facility or site-level sustainability report. Numerous case studies illustrate lessons learned and best practices by facilities that have undertaken facility level engagement and reporting.
Ceres Annual Report: 2006 and Beyond
Oct 06, 2007
- October 2007 - This Ceres Annual Report 2006 & Beyond demonstrates the momentum we have created through our work, our strategies and, most importantly, our results. It includes four sections on key approaches we use to achieve our mission of advancing sustainable prosperity: Connect. Lead. Solve. Inform.
The Quiet Revolution in Business Reporting
May 06, 2007
- May 2007 - This report discusses the limitations of business reporting under today's accounting rules, chronicles the progress made by a variety of disclosure initiatives since the 1990s, and identifies the Global Reporting Initiative as the emerging standard in comprehensive non-financial reporting. The report anticipates a future where comprehensive business disclosure has become a core component of good corporate governance, enabling corporate executives and boards to anticipate new challenges, make effective long-term investments, and respond to the increased complexity of an interdependent global economy.
U.S. Mutual Funds Critical Missing Link in Supporting Climate Change Shareholder Resolutions
Apr 06, 2007
- April 2007 - ese disclosure requirements are designed to show how fund managers are voting to protect shareholder interests and promote companies’ long-term financial performance.
2006 Ceres ACCA Sustainability Reporting Awards Judges Report
Apr 06, 2007
- April 2007 - The judges report for the 2006 Ceres-ACCA North American Sustainability Reporting Awards. The winners were announced at the April 2007 Ceres annual conference in Boston, MA.
TXU's Expansion Proposal: A Risk for Investors
Feb 06, 2007
- February 2007 - The report concludes that TXU's investors &mdash whether as public shareholders or private investors - will face a multitude of financial risks if the company moves forward with its plans to build 9,000 megawatts of pulverized coal-fired capacity. The report cites construction cost over-runs, burdensome regulatory costs as climate regulations take hold and a slowing of power demand in Texas as state legislators aggressively push energy efficiency and other energy-saving programs.
Climate Risk Disclosure by the S&P 500
Jan 06, 2007
- January 2007 - This report assesses how S&P 500 corporations from 11 key industries disclose the risks and opportunities they face from climate change. The report finds that over half of the nation's largest companies are providing inadequate disclosure to investors, despite growing financial losses in multiple sectors from climate change.
Ceres Annual Report: 2005 and Beyond
Dec 06, 2006
- December 2006 - By engaging directly with companies, by promoting leading-edge environmental and social disclosure, by leveraging our unique access to investors, Ceres is finding smart, workable solutions to society's most pressing sustainability challenges &mdash not the least among them, global warming.
Questions and Answers for Foundations on Proxy Voting
Nov 06, 2006
- November 2006 - A growing number of foundations are taking ownership of their proxies. Investors are looking with increasing favor on shareholder proposals asking companies to disclose potential liabilities related to global warming, issue broad-based reports on sustainability impacts, monitor their political contributions, or report on their fair employment policies. This guide serves as a reference for foundations seeking to ensure their endowments generate income as well as align with their principal mission.
Global Framework for Climate Risk Disclosure
Oct 06, 2006
- October 2006 - A unique global partnership of 14 leading institutional investors and other organizations representing trillions in assets today released the Global Framework for Climate Risk Disclosure to provide specific guidance to companies regarding the information they provide to investors on the financial risks posed by climate change.
Guide to Using the Global Framework for Climate Risk Disclosure
Oct 06, 2006
- October 2006 - The Guide is a companion tool for using the Framework. For each of the four elements of the Framework, the Guide provides specific guidance for companies about how to disclose using the most common reporting mechanisms for climate risk: securities filings, the Global Reporting Initiative, and the Carbon Disclosure Project. The Guide also contains examples of disclosure from leading companies using these disclosure mechanisms.
Ceres 2004-2005 Sustainability Report
Aug 06, 2006
- August 2006 - Sustainability reporting can benefit all organizations and companies, regardless of their size or type of organization. This new report focuses on Ceres' 2004 and 2005 operations and impacts.