Read recent news articles, blogs and press releases about the transportation industry related to sustainability issues like carbon emissions and fossil fuel sources.
US Businesses, Investors Urge Stronger Truck Standards
Sep 30, 2015
- Two major coalitions of business and investment leaders today called on the Obama Administration to strengthen its proposed rules for medium- and heavy-duty trucks, citing tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of millions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions that could be saved.
California should stick with clean-fuel rule
Sep 22, 2015
- Though state lawmakers caved to the oil industry by spiking a plan to sharply reduce gasoline use, there’s another option for Sacramento in reducing climate change and promoting alternative sources to fill gas tanks. State regulators are close to extending a measure that cuts carbon levels in everyday driving fuel. The low-carbon standard is among a batch of policies designed to cut carbon dioxide, the chief greenhouse-gas culprit blamed for rising temperatures and whipsawing weather. Extending the mandate to cut levels in gas is an essential part of state strategies to curb climate change.
Major Companies Announce Support for California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard
Sep 22, 2015
- Thirty-six companies, including 11 based in California, issued a letter to California Air Resources Board Chairman Mary Nichols expressing strong support for the re-adoption of California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS), citing the standard’s influence on investment in cleaner transportation fuels. The letter was coordinated by Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP), a project of the nonprofit sustainability advocacy organization, Ceres.
Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy Applauds Washington State Action on Clean Fuel Standards
Feb 04, 2015
- BICEP strongly supports enacting a Clean Fuels Standard in Washington. As a flexible market-based mechanism, it allows regulated parties to select the most cost-effective pathways to achieve compliance.
Boston nonprofit Ceres stresses green effort
Feb 02, 2015
- Ceres, celebrating its 25th anniversary, has become one of the world’s most influential environmental advocates by harnessing capitalism to convince companies that sustainability is central to their competitiveness and bottom lines.
Analyzing Climate Risk: Why Mandatory Reporting Matters
Sep 11, 2014
- Fully incorporating all risks, including climate change, into the investment-decision-making process will have a tangible impact in shifting significant capital away from high-carbon emitters toward clean energy alternatives.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on the National Climate Assessment
May 06, 2014
- "We simply can no longer afford to risk our children’s futures on the false hope that the vast majority of scientists are wrong."
Sister Patricia Daly, a Visionary Leader Dedicated to Environmental Justice, Wins the Joan Bavaria Award
Apr 30, 2014
- Long-time shareholder advocate and executive director of the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, Sister Patricia Daly, OP has been awarded the sixth-annual Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets.
Are The 613 Largest U.S. Public Companies Actually Working On Sustainability?
Apr 30, 2014
- Corporations are getting better at incorporating sustainability into their business structure, but not fast enough and not to the scale that the planet demands.
Ceres report: US corporate progress on sustainability remains incremental
Apr 30, 2014
- The latest evidence that businesses are failing to grasp the need to restructure their business models comes from an analysis of 613 major publicly listed US companies, which represent three-quarters of the country's total stock market capitalisation.
Even oil companies don't want a 'roasted world'
Mar 25, 2014
- When climate scientist Rosina Bierbaum speaks, her central theme is the "roasted world" -- a bleak picture of what the planet will probably look like if carbon pollution continues unchecked.
Rapid Developments in Alternative Fuels Surpassing Expectations
Jun 13, 2013
- Industry leaders and investors are heartened by faster-than-expected developments in alternative fuels, according to an industry report released today.