Oil & Gas News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the oil and gas industry and sustainability issues such as carbon emissions, chemicals and toxins, water scarcity and fossil fuels.
Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy Applauds New White House Methane Goal
Jan 14, 2015
- A U.S. company network, Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP), applauds the Obama Administration’s announcement today of a new goal, and proposed suite of actions, to cut methane emissions from the oil and gas industry by 40 to 45 percent from 2012 levels by 2025.
Investors question forecasts from ExxonMobil and other oil companies
Dec 12, 2014
- As climate talks wind down in Lima, investors are pressuring fossil fuel companies to account for climate change in business strategies. Yet many still forge ahead as if little has changed
Not business as usual: 200 firms back EPA climate regs
Dec 03, 2014
- More than 200 U.S. companies came together to support a major reduction in carbon pollution from power plants proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Nike, IKEA join 221 companies in backing EPA’s climate rule
Dec 03, 2014
- Major sportswear retailer Nike and furniture giant IKEA are backing the administration’s landmark climate rule on carbon pollution from existing power plants.
U.S. and China announcement sends low carbon signal to private sector
Nov 13, 2014
- In an unprecedented act of collaboration, the United States and China have provided additional momentum to tackle global climate change by agreeing to reduce their carbon emissions. This commitment represents a crucial signal for the increasing number of businesses who have been reshaping their investments to drive a low carbon economy.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
Scientists Press For Climate Change Action
Nov 05, 2014
- With this week's release of the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Synthesis Report, scientists from across the world lit another torch of urgency for climate action.
Climate Activists Look For Solutions From Business, Diplomats
Sep 23, 2014
- Business and corporate leaders are starting to take climate risk seriously enough to put money on the table to do something about it.
Analyzing Climate Risk: Why Mandatory Reporting Matters
Sep 11, 2014
- Fully incorporating all risks, including climate change, into the investment-decision-making process will have a tangible impact in shifting significant capital away from high-carbon emitters toward clean energy alternatives.
Unilever, VF Corp., Mars Incorporated and New York State Comptroller Join 173 Companies and Investors in Supporting EPA’s New Carbon Standard
Jun 02, 2014
- In response to today’s release of a new EPA standard to limit carbon pollution from existing power plants, 128 companies and 49 investors, managing $800 billion in assets, sent letters of support to the Obama Administration, and to Senate and House majority and minority leaders.
Ceres Conference and Report Ask: Is Corporate Sustainability Gaining Ground or Losing Pace?
May 07, 2014
- Global social and ecological systems are now breaking down, facing us with a choice between watching trillions of dollars of value destroyed in stranded fossil fuel assets or harvesting trillions in value, newly created by clean energy.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on the National Climate Assessment
May 06, 2014
- "We simply can no longer afford to risk our children’s futures on the false hope that the vast majority of scientists are wrong."
Sister Patricia Daly, a Visionary Leader Dedicated to Environmental Justice, Wins the Joan Bavaria Award
Apr 30, 2014
- Long-time shareholder advocate and executive director of the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, Sister Patricia Daly, OP has been awarded the sixth-annual Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets.
Are The 613 Largest U.S. Public Companies Actually Working On Sustainability?
Apr 30, 2014
- Corporations are getting better at incorporating sustainability into their business structure, but not fast enough and not to the scale that the planet demands.
Ceres report: US corporate progress on sustainability remains incremental
Apr 30, 2014
- The latest evidence that businesses are failing to grasp the need to restructure their business models comes from an analysis of 613 major publicly listed US companies, which represent three-quarters of the country's total stock market capitalisation.
Business lobbying on climate change is 'a murmur and not a message'
Apr 11, 2014
- A coalition including IKEA, Mars and eBay is lobbying US government for regulation to curb climate change. But for Washington to listen, businesses must make it a core issue
Business Support for Policy Action on Climate Change Grows 20-Fold as the “Climate Declaration” Hits First Anniversary
Apr 10, 2014
- On the heels of a new UN report detailing damaging and accelerating impacts of climate change, top business executives from IKEA, JLL, Mars Inc., Sprint and VF Corp. met today with members of the Congressional Bicameral Task Force on Climate Change to discuss climate-related impacts on their companies.
Building a Sustainable Global Economy
Apr 04, 2014
- Ceres’ launch was inspired by the horrific Exxon Valdez oil spill. At that time the very idea of corporations having an ethic to measure and improve social and environmental performance beyond legal requirements was considered implausible. Today the landscape is remarkably different.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report
Mar 31, 2014
- Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report pulls no punches in concluding that our world is on a dangerous path and urgent action is needed now to reverse the pollution that is causing it.
Even oil companies don't want a 'roasted world'
Mar 25, 2014
- When climate scientist Rosina Bierbaum speaks, her central theme is the "roasted world" -- a bleak picture of what the planet will probably look like if carbon pollution continues unchecked.