Oil & Gas News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the oil and gas industry and sustainability issues such as carbon emissions, chemicals and toxins, water scarcity and fossil fuels.
Business lobbying on climate change is 'a murmur and not a message'
Apr 11, 2014
- A coalition including IKEA, Mars and eBay is lobbying US government for regulation to curb climate change. But for Washington to listen, businesses must make it a core issue
Business Support for Policy Action on Climate Change Grows 20-Fold as the “Climate Declaration” Hits First Anniversary
Apr 10, 2014
- On the heels of a new UN report detailing damaging and accelerating impacts of climate change, top business executives from IKEA, JLL, Mars Inc., Sprint and VF Corp. met today with members of the Congressional Bicameral Task Force on Climate Change to discuss climate-related impacts on their companies.
Building a Sustainable Global Economy
Apr 04, 2014
- Ceres’ launch was inspired by the horrific Exxon Valdez oil spill. At that time the very idea of corporations having an ethic to measure and improve social and environmental performance beyond legal requirements was considered implausible. Today the landscape is remarkably different.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report
Mar 31, 2014
- Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report pulls no punches in concluding that our world is on a dangerous path and urgent action is needed now to reverse the pollution that is causing it.
Even oil companies don't want a 'roasted world'
Mar 25, 2014
- When climate scientist Rosina Bierbaum speaks, her central theme is the "roasted world" -- a bleak picture of what the planet will probably look like if carbon pollution continues unchecked.
In Shift, Exxon Mobil to Report on Risks to Its Fossil Fuel Assets
Mar 21, 2014
- Energy companies have been under increasing pressure from shareholder activists in recent years to warn investors of the risks that stricter limits on carbon emissions would place on their business.
Exxon Mobil agrees to report on climate change's effect on business model
Mar 21, 2014
- The oil giant Exxon Mobil has agreed for the first time to report on how climate change could affect its business model, campaign groups say.
How to Save Water on Fracking
Feb 24, 2014
- Among the environmental worries posed by hydraulic fracturing, including the release of methane into the air and contamination of groundwater, one has recently escalated: the concern that the enormous quantities of water used in fracking will leave parts of the country parched.
Fracking's water use sets up fight with cities and farmers
Feb 18, 2014
- It’s no secret that hydraulic fracturing in the production of oil and natural gas uses enormous amounts of water.
Investor group demands fossil fuel companies disclose carbon asset risk
Feb 12, 2014
- A group of investors with combined assets of over $200 billion filed shareholder resolutions on Wednesday with ten energy companies, including Exxon Mobil and Southern Co, demanding they disclose their strategies for competing in a lower-carbon future.
Shareholders File Resolutions to Press Fossil Fuel Companies on Low-Carbon Strategies, Carbon Asset Risk
Feb 12, 2014
- On the heels of the Investor Summit on Climate Risk at the United Nations, a half-dozen investors today announced the filing of shareholder resolutions with 10 fossil fuel companies.
The Carbon Time Bomb in Your Retirement Account
Dec 10, 2013
- Will climate change leave your investment portfolio stranded like a polar bear on melting ice floe? If your pension fund or 401(k) manager invests in fossil-fuel companies, it just might.
Ski Season Renews Calls for Federal Government to ‘Combat Climate Change’
Dec 10, 2013
- With the ski season underway in the United States, a petition that was announced in May asking lawmakers to address “climate change” is again in the spotlight as climate change advocates launched a video campaign on social media last week.
Investors demand oil, coal and power companies assess climate change risks
Nov 20, 2013
- Regulatory, market and societal forces are changing the global landscape. Fossil fuel companies cannot expect business as usual for much longer
Oil's Future Draws Blood and Gore in Investment Portfolios
Nov 19, 2013
- Oil and coal companies worth more than $7 trillion may be sinking billions of dollars today into projects that will never make sense to finish.
Oil firms asked to account for climate change risk
Oct 31, 2013
- A group of global institutional investors have asked the world’s oil companies to determine how much risk they face from potential policies to reduce carbon emissions.
Wall Street Demands Answers From Fossil Fuel Producers on 'Unburnable' Carbon
Oct 25, 2013
- A well-heeled coalition of investors is asking top fossil fuel companies to calculate the risks of plowing billions into new oil, gas and coal projects.
Investors ask fossil fuel companies to assess how business plans fare in low-carbon future
Oct 24, 2013
- A group of 70 global investors managing more than $3 trillion of collective assets launched the first-ever coordinated effort to spur 45 of the world’s top oil and gas, coal and electric power companies to assess the financial risks that climate change poses to their business plans.
Start Your Timers: We Have 30 Years Left To Fix Climate Change (But Who Cares?)
Sep 30, 2013
- The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest report has made it official: We're causing climate change and time is running out. If only people would read it and do something.
Exclusive: Bakken flaring burns more than $100 million a month
Jul 29, 2013
- Oil drillers in North Dakota's Bakken shale fields are allowing nearly a third of the natural gas they drill to burn off into the air, with a value of more than $100 million per month, according to a study to be released on Monday.