Company Related News
language here about news related to corporate sustainability
Environmental Group Helps Big Companies to Change Practices
May 26, 2015
- Who has enough clout to get Fortune 500 giants like PepsiCola, Nike, Disney, Ikea and Apple to change their environmental practices? That credit would go to a Boston-based nonprofit with 80 employees and an $11 million budget, Ceres.
Apple Joins Ceres Company Network
May 14, 2015
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Apple as the newest member of the Ceres Company Network. Companies that join the Ceres network demonstrate an executive-level commitment to sustainability and strive to further integrate sustainability into their business strategies.
New Report: Major Food Companies Must Adapt to Escalating Global Water Risks
May 07, 2015
- Major U.S. food companies need to adopt far stronger practices to use limited global water resources more efficiently, according to a report released today by Ceres, a nonprofit sustainability advocacy group.
Epic Drought Forces California Grower to Re-think Water
May 05, 2015
- California’s drought is challenging for all farmers, but it’s especially daunting for growers like Barat Bisabri, who is being forced to re-think his entire business model when it comes to water.
Fortune 500s Hitting The Hill On Earth Day
Apr 21, 2015
- For many companies, Earth Day is a time for releasing corporate sustainability reports, unveiling new environmental initiatives or sponsoring community festivals honoring the day. All laudable initiatives, but with the clock ticking on our ability to limit global temperature increases to 2 degrees Celsius to avoid catastrophic climate change, companies need to up their
Changing the Business Climate in 2015
Apr 14, 2015
- Six years ago, when an international climate treaty in Copenhagen seemed distinctly possible, there was still a discernible gap between the concept of a low-carbon global economy and the capital market’s ability to deliver it.
Gloom does not have to mean doom in California
Apr 03, 2015
- The water news from California keeps getting worse. This week’s final snowpack tally from the Sierra Nevada mountains – one of the state's key water lifelines – is "dire" and "obliterated" previous record lows, David Rizzardo, chief of snow surveys and water supply forecasting at California's Department of Water Resources, told reporters on Wednesday.
Levi Strauss & Co.: Connecting the Drops With Your Jeans
Mar 17, 2015
- Levi Strauss & Co. recently joined Ceres’ “Connect the Drops” campaign to show our support for the importance of water conservation in California. As a company, we’re committed to increasing awareness around this critical issue. That’s why, after undertaking a new Product Lifecycle Assessment (LCA), we’ve announced a new campaign to educate consumers about the environmental impact of their jeans.
General Mills, Driscoll’s, Coca-Cola & KB Home Launch Business Campaign Urging Bolder Strategies To Conserve Water
Mar 05, 2015
- As California’s devastating drought enters its fourth year, and farmers face a second consecutive year with reduced surface water supplies, a diverse coalition of global businesses with significant supply chains or operations in California today announced Connect the Drops, a new campaign urging aggressive measures to maximize California's local and state water resources.
Boston nonprofit Ceres stresses green effort
Feb 02, 2015
- Ceres, celebrating its 25th anniversary, has become one of the world’s most influential environmental advocates by harnessing capitalism to convince companies that sustainability is central to their competitiveness and bottom lines.
Why businesses should support the EPA's pollution rules
Jan 27, 2015
- As the US political fight over climate change moves from Washington DC to 50 state capitals, companies that are serious about sustainability need to support the EPA’s proposed rules to curb carbon pollution from existing power plants.
9 Reasons Not to be Depressed About the Planet
Dec 30, 2014
- Don’t leave 2014 without realizing there have been notable — often underreported — big capital market breakthroughs on climate change, water protection and other sustainability fronts.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
Fossil Fuel Companies Must Evolve for Warming Planet
Nov 11, 2014
- We talk a lot in this country about what it takes to enact change -- from politics to finance and education systems. Time and again, we've seen that regular people have the power to drive reform, and that there is strength in numbers.
Scientists Press For Climate Change Action
Nov 05, 2014
- With this week's release of the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Synthesis Report, scientists from across the world lit another torch of urgency for climate action.
CVS Health Joins Ceres Company Network
Nov 05, 2014
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved CVS Health, one of the country’s largest pharmacy companies, as the newest member of the sustainability advocacy group’s company network.
First-of-its-Kind Report Ranks U.S. Insurance Companies on Climate Change Responses
Oct 22, 2014
- Amid growing evidence that climate change is having wide-ranging global impacts that will worsen in the years ahead, a new report from Ceres ranks the nation's 330 largest insurance companies on what they are saying and doing to respond to escalating climate risks.
Corn Belt Pollution: Louisiana Shrimp And Oysters Pay The Price
Oct 21, 2014
- Coastal Louisiana faces a complex web of environmental challenges from land loss, to declining fisheries, water quality problems and climate change.
Climate Activists Look For Solutions From Business, Diplomats
Sep 23, 2014
- Business and corporate leaders are starting to take climate risk seriously enough to put money on the table to do something about it.
Tackling The Oil Industry On Climate Change
Sep 23, 2014
- ‘Protect our climate’ was the rallying cry heard across New York City yesterday, but the underlying message really was ‘stop using fossil fuels.’