Set New Standards and Expectations
In order to meet the new challenges of the 21st century, companies and investors must ask new questions and set new standards for success. Ceres has a long history of setting new standards and expectations for leadership by investors and businesses on sustainability disclosure, performance and corporate governance. We will continue to define best practices on sustainability and governance in the 21st century and ensure there is widespread adoption and accountability.
How We Will Get There:
- Ensure boards of directors at all companies have explicit oversight over climate change and other sustainability risks and integrate sustainability into performance evaluations and incentive packages of CEOs and senior executives.
- Ensure all companies are issuing GRI-based reports with specific performance goals and targets for operations, products and services, supply chains and employee programs.
- Benchmark and rank the world's 500 largest companies in carbon-intensive sectors, financial services, consumer goods and technology on climate change and other sustainability practices.
- Lead a collaborative effort to define what a 21st century sustainable corporation should look like, including the 21st century "utility of the future."
Investor Expectations for Improving Environmental & Social Performance in Canadian Oil Sands Development
Oct 22, 2012
- A group of 49 investors with $2 trillion in assets under management are calling on Canadian oil sands developers to dramatically reduce the environmental and social impact of their operations.
The 21st Century Investor: Ceres Blueprint for Sustainable Investing Summary
May 02, 2013
- This is a summary report of The 21st Century Investor: Ceres Blueprint for Sustainable Investing (the “Ceres Investor Blueprint”), released in June 2013.
Power Forward Supplement: Climate and Energy Targets set by Fortune 500 Companies
Jun 19, 2014
- This table is a supplemental document listing all the goals to the report: Power Forward: How American Companies are Setting Clean Energy Targets and Capturing Greater Business Value.
Ceres Launches a Corporate Call-to-Action on Climate Change
Apr 28, 2014
- As ecological, economic and human costs mount, one of the world’s largest carbon emitters, the U.S., is hamstrung by a deeply polarized Congress. In an effort to move the needle, in April 2013 Ceres and its Business for Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP) coalition launched the Climate Declaration, a corporate call-to-action.
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Still Leaves a Painful Legacy
Mar 24, 2014
- Exactly 25 years ago, 260,000 barrels of crude oil from the Exxon Valdez oil tanker inundated the frigid, fragile waters of Alaska's Prince William Sound.