Ensure Honest Accounting
Current accounting systems fail to value environmental and social factors in business decision-making. Investors and companies too often “externalize,” or ignore, the ecological and human impacts from their activity. As a result, companies are able to exploit finite water resources at minimal cost and emit carbon freely.
Ceres is working to ensure that capital markets integrate the full costs of environmental and social factors in business strategies, risk management and public disclosure. Achieving this will ensure companies are rewarded for strong sustainable performance.
How We'll Get There:
- Propel all companies to use a carbon ‘shadow’ price in capital investment decision-making and to share that information with investors.
- Ensure all analysts, rating agencies and financial firms are factoring environmental, social and governance risks and opportunities in their research and valuations.
- Integrate sustainability factors, such as water availability, forest protection and human rights, into company and investment decision-making.
- Embed sustainability factors into the disclosure requirements of key capital market drivers such as the Securities and Exchange Commission, New York Stock Exchange and Financial Accounting Standards Board.
Ceres 2003 Annual Report
Jan 01, 2004
- January 2004 - The 2003 Ceres Annual Report reviews our extraordinary achievements over the last year, including new reports, a pension fund "Call to Action", and dialogues and resolutions resulted in climate change commitments from companies.
2003 Institutional Investor Summit on Climate Risk Final Report
Dec 01, 2003
- Major pension fund managers and institutional investors, along with representatives of leading Wall Street fund management firms, met for the first time to consider the potential risks to their portfolios posed by climate change at the Institutional Investor Summit on Climate Risk at the United Nations on November 21, 2003. This report reviews what participants discussed.
Ceres 2001 Sustainability Report
Dec 01, 2002
- December 2002 - Covering our performance during calendar year 2001, this report details our own successes and challenges as we strive to operate in a sustainable manner.
- Ceres 2001 Annual Report: Life in the Edge Environment
- January 2002 - Ceres' 2001 Annual Report focuses on the growth of its coalition members and companies and includes highlights of our work in 2002, ranging from our Green Hotel Initiative to the Sustainable Governance Project.