Ceres In The News
Listing of news clips featuring Ceres and our work.
Ski Season Renews Calls for Federal Government to ‘Combat Climate Change’
Dec 10, 2013
- With the ski season underway in the United States, a petition that was announced in May asking lawmakers to address “climate change” is again in the spotlight as climate change advocates launched a video campaign on social media last week.
As Oil and Gas Drilling Competes for Water, One New Mexico County Says No
May 09, 2013
- In drought-plagued New Mexico, water is gold. And this week, Mora County in the northern part of the state took a firm stand to protect its precious liquid: it banned all oil and gas extraction from county lands.
Ceres Conference and Report Ask: Is Corporate Sustainability Gaining Ground or Losing Pace?
May 07, 2014
- Global social and ecological systems are now breaking down, facing us with a choice between watching trillions of dollars of value destroyed in stranded fossil fuel assets or harvesting trillions in value, newly created by clean energy.
Only $1 Trillion: Annual Investment Goal Puts Climate Solutions Within Reach
Sep 15, 2014
- A two-year-old number is changing the way governments, companies and investors approach the fight against climate change: $1 trillion.
Not business as usual: 200 firms back EPA climate regs
Dec 03, 2014
- More than 200 U.S. companies came together to support a major reduction in carbon pollution from power plants proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency.
California houses the top greenest utilities
Jul 25, 2014
- The nation's greenest utilities tend to cluster in coastal states such as California that promote renewable power and energy efficiency, while those that score lower are located in the Southeast, says a ranking Thursday of the 32 largest U.S. electric utilities.
Insurance Coverage Crossroads: The Insurance Industry Appears Largely Unprepared to Weather Risks of Climate Change
Jul 08, 2013
- Data is now confirming that warming of the atmosphere and oceans is playing a direct role in the more frequent occurrence of extreme weather events. According to a recent report by Ceres, many insurers are unprepared to weather these changes.
In a Parched World, We Have to Value Every Drop
Mar 02, 2015
- The world is getting thirstier and we’re fast running out of ways to quench it. A rapidly growing population, too many competing demands, and climate change impacts are creating a water availability emergency that the World Economic Forum recently ranked as the world’s “top global risk.”
In Anticipating EPA Plan, States Can Follow Examples of Neighbors
Aug 13, 2014
- While debate rages on about the Environmental Protection Agency’s proposed Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas pollution from existing U.S. power plants, it’s important to take a look at what is already working around the country from the standpoint of clean energy deployment.
Levi Strauss & Co.: Connecting the Drops With Your Jeans
Mar 17, 2015
- Levi Strauss & Co. recently joined Ceres’ “Connect the Drops” campaign to show our support for the importance of water conservation in California. As a company, we’re committed to increasing awareness around this critical issue. That’s why, after undertaking a new Product Lifecycle Assessment (LCA), we’ve announced a new campaign to educate consumers about the environmental impact of their jeans.
Wall Street Demands Answers From Fossil Fuel Producers on 'Unburnable' Carbon
Oct 25, 2013
- A well-heeled coalition of investors is asking top fossil fuel companies to calculate the risks of plowing billions into new oil, gas and coal projects.
Exclusive: Bakken flaring burns more than $100 million a month
Jul 29, 2013
- Oil drillers in North Dakota's Bakken shale fields are allowing nearly a third of the natural gas they drill to burn off into the air, with a value of more than $100 million per month, according to a study to be released on Monday.
Investors see green in clean energy
Jan 27, 2014
- It was not the usual roundup of environmental activists saying the sky is falling. Instead, it was the biggest bankers and insurance companies calling for massive investments in clean energy lest we — and they — pay in massive damages from climate change.
Two New States to Require Climate Risk Survey; More Companies Must Now Respond
Aug 13, 2013
- Connecticut and Minnesota regulators have decided to join California, New York and Washington in requiring insurers to respond to a survey on climate change.
Wanted: major investors to spend 'clean trillion' on climate
Jan 15, 2014
- Major institutional investors will need to ratchet up their investment in clean energy to achieve the massive funding goals necessary to avert catastrophic climate change, according to a report released on Wednesday by Ceres.
Clean Energy Support Falls Again to $254 Billion in 2013
Jan 15, 2014
- The decline in investment in renewable energy accelerated in 2013 as the cost of solar panels and wind farms fell, unsettling investor confidence in alternatives to fossil fuels.
Alberta’s Oil Sands Raise Flaring Emissions as Rules Lag
Jun 18, 2013
- In the farming country of northwest Alberta, heavy oil wells are becoming more common than cattle and combines. Along with money and jobs, the boom has brought smells and fumes that are adding to the greenhouse gas emissions from Canada’s oil sands.
More solar energy powering Corporate America
May 12, 2014
- Corporate America is going solar as more companies join President Obama's call to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Washington’s Top Firms Silent On Climate Risks Despite SEC Rule
Sep 26, 2013
- Most publicly held companies — including some of the biggest companies in Washington — aren’t informing investors of the risks they face from climate change.
Carbon producers can meet EPA's limits as they have in the past
Jul 14, 2014
- Nothing in past experience, or the power sector's current preparedness, suggests that the nation's electric system is at risk or that rates will spike when EPA carbon-reducing limits for power plants go into effect. Quite the contrary: cutting carbon from the electric sector is a vital step forward in creating a sustainable economy in a warming world.