A listing of the most recent Ceres reports.
Below are some of the most recent Ceres reports. For a list of all reports, click here.
Disclosing Climate Risks: A Guide for Corporate Executives, Attorneys & Directors
Feb 06, 2011
- February 2011 - This Ceres report, developed with input from its 90-plus member Investor Network on Climate Risk, outlines generally weak climate disclosure to date by businesses and steps for improving such disclosure, especially in annual 10-K financial filings that are next due from companies by March 31, 2011. It comes just a week after the consulting firm Mercer issued a new study warning that climate change could increase investment portfolio risk by 10 percent over the next 20 years.
New Jobs-Cleaner Air: Employment Effects under Planned Changes to EPA’s Air Pollution Rules
Feb 01, 2011
- February 2011 - This study demonstrates how new air pollution rules proposed for the electric power sector by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will provide long-term economic benefits across much of the United States in the form of highly skilled, well paying jobs through infrastructure investment in the nation's generation fleet. Significantly, many of these jobs will be created over the next five years as the United States recovers from its severe economic downturn.
Investor Risks from Development of Oil Shale and Coal-to-Liquids
Dec 01, 2010
- December 2010 - This report shows that coal-to-liquid (CTL) and oil shale technologies face significant environmental and financial obstacles - from water constraints, to technological uncertainties to regulatory and market risks - that pose substantial financial risks for investors involved in such projects.
Multiplying Our Impact: Ceres 2009-2010 Annual Report
Nov 20, 2010
- November 2010 - This Ceres Annual Report highlights the remarkable achievements that we have made over the past year in working to build a sustainable global economy. It highlights our successes in four of today's most pressing sustainability issues: the scarcity of water, the need to replace fossil fuels with clean energy, supporting human rights and combating climate change. Ceres' Annual Report also includes case studies of the achievements we have made with our partners, including Oxfam America, Ford Motor Co. and the California Public Employees' Retirement System.
The Ripple Effect: Water Risk in the Municipal Bond Market
Oct 22, 2010
- October 2010 - Growing water scarcity in many parts of the United States is a hidden financial risk for investors who buy the water and electric utility bonds that finance much of the country's vast water and power infrastructure, according to this first-ever report by Ceres and Water Asset Management. The report evaluates and ranks water scarcity risks for public water and power utilities in some of the country's most water-stressed regions, including Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas and Atlanta.
The 21st Century Electric Utility: Positioning for a Low-Carbon Future
Jul 27, 2010
- July 2010 - This report identifies five key elements of a 21st century electric utility business model and makes specific recommendations to utilities as they transition to a low-carbon future. It is by no means the final word on this complex and constantly evolving subject. Rather it is a starting point for utilities, policymakers, regulators, investors, analysts, and advocates to consider the utility decisions and behaviors best suited to helping us realize the energy future we all want – a future that, as the report says, “minimizes cost, risk and environmental impact, and maximizes opportunity, options and societal benefit.”
Benchmarking Air Emissions of the 100 Largest Electric Power Producers in the United States 2010
Jun 14, 2010
- June 2010 - The 2010 Benchmarking report is the seventh collaborative effort highlighting environmental performance and progress in the nation’s electric power sector. The Benchmarking series began in 1997 and uses publicly reported data to compare the emissions performance of the 100 largest power producers in the United States. The current report is based on 2008 generation and emissions data.
Mutual Funds and Climate Change: Growing Support for Shareholder Resolutions 2010
Jun 01, 2010
- June 2010 - This year’s report evaluates proxy votes on climate change shareholder resolutions by 46 leading mutual fund families, with collective assets under management totaling more than $5 trillion. The analysis covers 17,834 proxy votes cast from 2004 to 2009 on 96 climate-related shareholder resolutions.
Canada's Oil Sands: Shrinking Window of Opportunity
May 14, 2010
- May 2010 - This report examines how carbon and land reclamation regulations, climate change and other environmental and social issues may adversely affect the future of oil sands development in Alberta.
Climate Change Risk Perception and Management: A Survey of Risk Managers
Apr 22, 2010
- April 2010 - This report describes the results of a survey of corporate risk managers conducted by Zurich Financial Services, the Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (PRMIA) and Ceres. The survey is a first step in assessing whether and to what extent risk managers are concerned about the risks posed by climate change regulation and/or by climate change itself, and how well the insurance industry is or is not serving risk managers to transfer or manage the risks in this arena.