Responsible Palm Oil: Reporting Guidance for Companies
A wave of companies has committed to sourcing responsibly produced palm oil; yet, problems still persist in their supply chains.
The rapid clearing and burning of forests and carbon-rich peat lands to make way for palm plantations has led to rampant deforestation, forced labor, biodiversity loss, massive health problems, and land rights violations. These issues also pose major regulatory and reputational risks for companies that threaten their market access and overall brand value.
To improve transparency and help all stakeholders understand the gaps in palm oil implementation, a diverse group of over 18 nonprofit organizations and investor groups, convened by Ceres, developed common reporting guidance for companies.
The Reporting Guidance for Responsible Palm (bahasa indonesia version) is a set of shared expectations for corporate reporting on company commitments towards responsible palm oil sourcing and production.
This guidance was developed by the following organizations:
- Ceres (coordination and convening)
- The Consensus Building Institute (facilitation)
- Conservation International
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Forest Heroes
- Forest Trends
- Global Forest Watch
- Green Century Capital Management
- Interfaith Center for Corporate Responsibility
- International Labor Rights Forum
- Rainforest Action Network
- Rainforest Alliance
- Seventh Generation Interfaith Coalition for Responsible Investment
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- Zoological Society of London
What are the Goals of the Reporting Guidance for Responsible Palm?
The guidance aims to:
- Inform reporting and transparency on responsible production and sourcing activities, including and beyond certification.
- Serve as a resource to guide dialogues and due diligence processes between companies, their suppliers, civil society stakeholders and investors.
- Build on and integrate shared recommendations from existing reporting frameworks and sustainability initiatives.
Companies are encouraged to report the information outlined in the guidance document through existing platforms, such as CDP, the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm oil (RSPO) Annual Communication on Progress, and sustainability reports and dashboards.
For more information, contact Ravi Varghese at firstname.lastname@example.org