Recent press releases, blogs, news stories related to Investor Network.
In Unprecedented Response, Investors Call On SEC To Improve Reporting Of Climate Risks And Other Sustainability Challenges
Jul 19, 2016
- In response to a formal review of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s corporate disclosure requirements, dozens of institutional investors have submitted letters to the federal agency requesting quick action to require stronger reporting of sustainability risks such as climate change, water scarcity and global deforestation.
Ceres Statement on Exxon and Chevron Shareholder Votes
May 25, 2016
- Today’s strong votes at Exxon and Chevron send a powerful message that investors see climate change as a material financial risk, which underscores the ongoing momentum post-Paris and urgency to prepare for a low-carbon transition.
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) Issues World’s First Certified Green Bond for Water Infrastructure
May 18, 2016
- In a world first, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) has become the first entity to issue a green bond certified under the Water Climate Bonds Standard, a screening tool that specifies the criteria that must be met for bonds labelled as “green” or earmarked for funding water-related, low carbon initiatives.
Ceres Commends EPA for First Ever National Rule Today on Methane Pollution
May 12, 2016
- As the clean energy transition continues to pick up steam globally in the wake of the Paris Climate Agreement, the nonprofit sustainability Ceres and major investors and companies welcomed today’s commitment from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to significantly cut methane emissions from the oil and gas industry.
Statement on the Occidental Shareholder Vote
May 09, 2016
- Momentum is building in the U.S. for better climate disclosure. Investors and analysts continue to send strong signals that Paris marked a turning point on climate action. On Friday, Occidental Petroleum announced the results of voting on a 2 degree stress testing resolution at its annual meeting, and yet again the votes represented a high-water mark on investor support for climate risk reporting in the U.S. reaching 48.99% of votes cast.
Top UN Climate Change Executive, Christiana Figueres, Wins Prestigious Joan Bavaria Sustainability Award
May 05, 2016
- Christiana Figueres, the executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), has been awarded the Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets. The announcement was made today at the Ceres Conference 2016 at the Park Plaza Hotel in Boston.
Global investors launch guide to drive engagement on climate risk with the electric utilities sector
Apr 28, 2016
- A week after more than 170 countries signed the Paris Agreement and investors voted on a shareholder climate risk resolution at the AGM of US utility AES Corporation, a global network of more than 270 institutional investors (representing assets worth over €20 trillion) has published a guide setting out the threats facing the utilities sector and investor expectations for how these companies must act to adapt their business strategies to a 2°C climate change pathway.
Ceres President Mindy Lubber Commends World Leaders for Signing Paris Agreement on Climate Change
Apr 22, 2016
- “Today will be marked not only as Earth Day, but the day that our world rebooted to set our climate back on track,” Ceres president Mindy Lubber said Friday at the historic signature ceremony of the Paris Agreement on climate change at the United Nations.
Investors Worth $3.6 Trillion Support Joint U.S. and Canadian Announcement on Limiting Methane Emissions from the Oil and Gas Industry
Apr 20, 2016
- As attention turns to the Paris Agreement signing ceremony on Friday, leading global investors, representing $3.6 trillion in assets under management, released a statement of support today for U.S. and Canadian efforts to limit methane emissions from the oil and gas sector. This represents more than a doubling of support since July 2015.
Global Investor Groups Urge World Leaders to Sign and Accede to the Paris Climate Agreement Rapidly
Apr 18, 2016
- 72 hours before more than 130 world leaders are expected to travel to New York to sign the Paris Agreement, organisations that collectively represent more than 400 institutional investors with USD 24 trillion of assets under management have called on world leaders to not only sign but accede to the Paris Agreement and implement it into national law as a matter of urgency.
Ceres’ Response to the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures Scoping Report
Apr 01, 2016
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber praised the members of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) on the release of their “Phase 1” report today, which lays out the scope and high level objectives for the task force’s work.
White House Lauds Ceres' Sustainable Water Initiatives at World Water Day Summit
Mar 22, 2016
- Ceres’ Connect the Drops campaign in California and its climate-resilient water bonds initiative were both recognized at a White House ceremony commemorating World Water Day.
Ceres Commends U.S.-Canadian Agreement on Climate and Energy and the Arctic
Mar 10, 2016
- Investors and companies are concerned that methane emissions pose a serious threat to climate stability, accelerating the rate of warming in the near term and threatening infrastructure and economic harm. Curbing this air pollution from existing sources as well as new facilities will help confront climate change while also promoting economic growth and regulatory clarity.
Investors Raising Heat on Fossil Fuel Companies and Their Strategies for Emerging Low-carbon Economy
Mar 07, 2016
- On the heels of a historic global climate agreement in Paris, investors have filed a record number of shareholder resolutions this year with major U.S. energy companies asking them to disclose their strategies for competing in a global economy that is shifting towards clean energy and away from fossil fuels.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Nasdaq Exchanges’ Announcement to Produce Sustainability Reporting Guidance for Listed Companies
Mar 01, 2016
- After several years of Ceres and our investor members working with individual exchanges and the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE) on sustainability reporting standards, we welcome today’s commitment by seven Nasdaq stock exchanges in Europe to create sustainability reporting guidance for their listed companies in 2016.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling temporarily staying EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Feb 10, 2016
- Ceres strongly disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision to stay the Clean Power Plan while litigation proceeds. Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan and they're backing their words with deeds.
New report: $12.1 trillion must be invested in new renewable power generation over next 25 years to limit climate change
Jan 29, 2016
- To reach the level of investment in new renewable power generation needed to avert dangerous climate change, $12.1 trillion of investment will be needed over the next 25 years, which is $5.2 trillion above business-as-usual projections, a new report by Ceres and Bloomberg New Energy Finance concludes.
500 Global Investors Managing Trillions Mobilize Action in Wake of Paris Climate Agreement
Jan 27, 2016
- On the heels of the historic international climate agreement in Paris, more than 500 global investors gathered at the United Nations to begin mobilizing the trillions of dollars needed to catalyze the global clean energy transition.
New SEC Search Tool Shines Light on What Fossil Fuel Companies are Saying About Growing Carbon Asset Risks
Jan 12, 2016
- Wondering what oil companies are telling investors about growing pressures to reduce carbon pollution and what that means for their long-term oil exploration projects and overall business strategies? Ceres and CookESG Research now have a way to get the answer: a new web tool for accessing carbon asset risk disclosures in company filings with the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC).
Ceres and its Business Partners Applaud Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber joined a half-dozen top U.S. investors and business executives today in praising the final international climate change agreement announced tonight in Paris.