Recent press releases, blogs, news stories related to Investor Network.
Investors Step Up Engagement With Fossil Fuel Companies
Dec 09, 2014
- As countries gather in Lima to build momentum towards an international climate deal, the global investor community has today published a guide outlining expectations for fossil fuel companies on growing carbon asset risks as they prepare to step up their engagement with the industry in the coming year.
Nestlé, JLL, Novelis Inc., and Levi Strauss & Co Join 223 Companies in Supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Dec 02, 2014
- Marking the end of the comment period on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, 223 companies today announced their support for EPA’s proposed carbon standard for electric power plants, including industry giants such as IKEA, Mars Inc., VF Corporation, and Nestlé.
New Report: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Provide Low-Risk, Low-Cost Options for Utility Investment
Nov 17, 2014
- As public attention is focused on the U.S. EPA's proposal for reducing carbon pollution from U.S. power plants, a new Ceres report finds that energy efficiency and specific renewable energy technologies are the most attractive options for U.S. utilities to meet future energy demand.
Analysis Shows Growing Support from U.S. Mutual Funds for Action on Climate Change Risks
Nov 13, 2014
- More U.S. mutual fund companies are acting to address the threat of climate change in their portfolios, with one-third of votes cast across 42 fund families supporting climate-related shareholder resolutions on average in 2014, according to an analysis by the sustainability advocacy group, Ceres.
U.S. and China announcement sends low carbon signal to private sector
Nov 13, 2014
- In an unprecedented act of collaboration, the United States and China have provided additional momentum to tackle global climate change by agreeing to reduce their carbon emissions. This commitment represents a crucial signal for the increasing number of businesses who have been reshaping their investments to drive a low carbon economy.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
New Climate Bonds Water Infrastructure Expert Committee
Nov 07, 2014
- A new Climate Bonds Expert Working Group, made up of key water sector and industry experts from around the world will be meeting for the first time today to develop criteria for water investments that can be used to back green and climate bonds certified under the Climate Bond Standard – an easy-to-use tool for investors and governments that allows them to assess the environmental integrity of bonds with confidence.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday's release of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Synthesis Report in Copenhagen
Nov 03, 2014
- The IPCC report is alarming and should be a wake-up call to government leaders. It conclusively demonstrates that we need to act now on climate change and that failing to do so will be enormously costly for the environment and the global economy.
First-of-its-Kind Report Ranks U.S. Insurance Companies on Climate Change Responses
Oct 22, 2014
- Amid growing evidence that climate change is having wide-ranging global impacts that will worsen in the years ahead, a new report from Ceres ranks the nation's 330 largest insurance companies on what they are saying and doing to respond to escalating climate risks.
World’s Leading Institutional Investors Managing $24 Trillion Call for Carbon Pricing, Ambitious Global Climate Deal
Sep 18, 2014
- Days before the Climate Summit at the United Nations to spur climate action and facilitate a global climate agreement in 2015, nearly 350 global institutional investors representing over $24 trillion in assets have called on government leaders to provide stable, reliable and economically meaningful carbon pricing, as well as develop plans to phase out subsidies for fossil fuels.
Investors Secure Groundbreaking Corporate Commitments to Protect Forests, Reduce Carbon Emissions
Aug 14, 2014
- In response to nearly 150 climate-related resolutions filed by institutional investors during the 2014 proxy season, 20 major international corporations have committed to set goals to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions or sustainably source palm oil and 45 corporate commitments were secured related to sustainability reporting, energy efficiency and carbon asset risk.
New Web Tool Provides Easy Access to SEC Climate Change Disclosure from 3,000 Public Companies
Jun 30, 2014
- Ceres and CookESG Research today launched a free, easy to use web tool for accessing climate change-related disclosures in company filings with the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission, which issued formal climate disclosure guidance in 2010.
New Report: Water and Climate Risks Are a Growing Threat to U.S. Corn Production
Jun 11, 2014
- A new Ceres report released today shows that water and climate change risks are rising in the $67 billion U.S. corn sector, contributing to production and price volatility and growing concern by corn buyers that the nation’s largest crop needs to be grown more sustainably.
Unilever, VF Corp., Mars Incorporated and New York State Comptroller Join 173 Companies and Investors in Supporting EPA’s New Carbon Standard
Jun 02, 2014
- In response to today’s release of a new EPA standard to limit carbon pollution from existing power plants, 128 companies and 49 investors, managing $800 billion in assets, sent letters of support to the Obama Administration, and to Senate and House majority and minority leaders.
New Report Shows Decline in Carbon Dioxide and Other Pollutants from U.S. Power Plants, but State and Power Company Emissions Vary Widely
May 28, 2014
- A new report on U.S. power plant emissions from the country’s top 100 electric power producers shows a downward trend in nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxides, mercury and carbon dioxide. The findings show that the industry is already shifting toward a combination of increased energy efficiency and lower carbon fuel sources, which should help it meet new EPA carbon standards.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on the National Climate Assessment
May 06, 2014
- "We simply can no longer afford to risk our children’s futures on the false hope that the vast majority of scientists are wrong."
More U.S. Corporations Must Scale Up Sustainability Efforts, Report Says
Apr 30, 2014
- A report released today by Ceres and Sustainalytics found that while there are encouraging pockets of sustainability leadership in the U.S. business community, far too many companies are only taking small, incremental steps to address pressing sustainability issues that could impact their bottom lines and the future of our planet and economy – such as climate change and human rights.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report
Mar 31, 2014
- Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report pulls no punches in concluding that our world is on a dangerous path and urgent action is needed now to reverse the pollution that is causing it.
World’s Largest Investors Launch Effort to Engage Global Stock Exchanges on Sustainability Reporting Standard for Companies
Mar 26, 2014
- Major institutional investors announced an initiative to engage global stock exchanges via the World Federation of Exchanges on a possible uniform reporting standard for sustainability reporting by all exchange members.
Shareholders Seeking Stronger Responses from Companies as Climate Change Concerns Deepen
Mar 07, 2014
- Motivated by mounting scientific evidence that human activity is a leading cause of climate change, major institutional investors are pushing for stronger actions from companies in climate-related shareholder resolutions in the 2014 proxy season.