Recent press releases, blogs, news stories related to Investor Network.
Leading Investors Press Meat Producers to Tackle Water Pollution Risks
Nov 21, 2016
- As Thanksgiving nears, 45 leading institutional investors collectively managing over $1 trillion in assets are pressing some of the nation’s largest producers of turkey and other meats to address the significant water pollution risks associated with feeding, slaughtering and processing livestock.
Ceres and the PRI Join Forces to Tackle Tropical Deforestation
Nov 11, 2016
- Through a new, joint investor group, the two organizations will support global institutional investors pressing food and timber companies to eliminate deforestation and other related concerns, including forced labor and land rights disputes from their supply chains.
Climate Standards Board Approves New Standard for Climate-Resilient Water Bonds
Oct 14, 2016
- The Climate Standards Board has approved a new standard for climate-resilient water bonds, providing investors with a verifiable, science-based screening process to evaluate bond investments earmarked for financing sustainable water-based infrastructure projects.
New Data: Water Use in Hydraulic Fracturing a Key Risk in Water-Stressed Regions in Texas and Colorado
Oct 06, 2016
- New Ceres research, released today via an interactive map, shows that 57 percent of hydraulically fractured oil and gas wells over the past five years were in regions of high water competition, particularly in Texas and Colorado, creating significant long-term water sourcing risks for communities, companies operating in these regions, and their investors.
Ceres’ Mindy Lubber Statement On Paris Climate Agreement's Entry Into Force
Oct 05, 2016
- “The Paris Agreement’s entry into force is a crystal-clear market signal that the transition to a low-carbon global economy is underway and accelerating. I applaud the European Parliament and other governments that have formally joined the accord.
Major investors caution against weakening MPG rules
Sep 22, 2016
- As the comment period closes on the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) Technical Assessment Report released by federal and state agencies, major investors are releasing statements in favor of strong fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards.
Ceres President Mindy Lubber Praises U.S. and China for Formally Joining the Paris Agreement on Climate Change
Sep 05, 2016
- “Today’s action sends a powerful signal to the markets that the shift to a low-carbon, clean energy economy is now accelerating. The rest of the world’s countries should take notice."
In Unprecedented Response, Investors Call On SEC To Improve Reporting Of Climate Risks And Other Sustainability Challenges
Jul 19, 2016
- In response to a formal review of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s corporate disclosure requirements, dozens of institutional investors have submitted letters to the federal agency requesting quick action to require stronger reporting of sustainability risks such as climate change, water scarcity and global deforestation.
Ceres Statement on Exxon and Chevron Shareholder Votes
May 25, 2016
- Today’s strong votes at Exxon and Chevron send a powerful message that investors see climate change as a material financial risk, which underscores the ongoing momentum post-Paris and urgency to prepare for a low-carbon transition.
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) Issues World’s First Certified Green Bond for Water Infrastructure
May 18, 2016
- In a world first, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) has become the first entity to issue a green bond certified under the Water Climate Bonds Standard, a screening tool that specifies the criteria that must be met for bonds labelled as “green” or earmarked for funding water-related, low carbon initiatives.
Ceres Commends EPA for First Ever National Rule Today on Methane Pollution
May 12, 2016
- As the clean energy transition continues to pick up steam globally in the wake of the Paris Climate Agreement, the nonprofit sustainability Ceres and major investors and companies welcomed today’s commitment from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to significantly cut methane emissions from the oil and gas industry.
Statement on the Occidental Shareholder Vote
May 09, 2016
- Momentum is building in the U.S. for better climate disclosure. Investors and analysts continue to send strong signals that Paris marked a turning point on climate action. On Friday, Occidental Petroleum announced the results of voting on a 2 degree stress testing resolution at its annual meeting, and yet again the votes represented a high-water mark on investor support for climate risk reporting in the U.S. reaching 48.99% of votes cast.
Top UN Climate Change Executive, Christiana Figueres, Wins Prestigious Joan Bavaria Sustainability Award
May 05, 2016
- Christiana Figueres, the executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), has been awarded the Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets. The announcement was made today at the Ceres Conference 2016 at the Park Plaza Hotel in Boston.
Global investors launch guide to drive engagement on climate risk with the electric utilities sector
Apr 28, 2016
- A week after more than 170 countries signed the Paris Agreement and investors voted on a shareholder climate risk resolution at the AGM of US utility AES Corporation, a global network of more than 270 institutional investors (representing assets worth over €20 trillion) has published a guide setting out the threats facing the utilities sector and investor expectations for how these companies must act to adapt their business strategies to a 2°C climate change pathway.
Ceres President Mindy Lubber Commends World Leaders for Signing Paris Agreement on Climate Change
Apr 22, 2016
- “Today will be marked not only as Earth Day, but the day that our world rebooted to set our climate back on track,” Ceres president Mindy Lubber said Friday at the historic signature ceremony of the Paris Agreement on climate change at the United Nations.
Investors Worth $3.6 Trillion Support Joint U.S. and Canadian Announcement on Limiting Methane Emissions from the Oil and Gas Industry
Apr 20, 2016
- As attention turns to the Paris Agreement signing ceremony on Friday, leading global investors, representing $3.6 trillion in assets under management, released a statement of support today for U.S. and Canadian efforts to limit methane emissions from the oil and gas sector. This represents more than a doubling of support since July 2015.
Global Investor Groups Urge World Leaders to Sign and Accede to the Paris Climate Agreement Rapidly
Apr 18, 2016
- 72 hours before more than 130 world leaders are expected to travel to New York to sign the Paris Agreement, organisations that collectively represent more than 400 institutional investors with USD 24 trillion of assets under management have called on world leaders to not only sign but accede to the Paris Agreement and implement it into national law as a matter of urgency.
Ceres’ Response to the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures Scoping Report
Apr 01, 2016
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber praised the members of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) on the release of their “Phase 1” report today, which lays out the scope and high level objectives for the task force’s work.
White House Lauds Ceres' Sustainable Water Initiatives at World Water Day Summit
Mar 22, 2016
- Ceres’ Connect the Drops campaign in California and its climate-resilient water bonds initiative were both recognized at a White House ceremony commemorating World Water Day.
Ceres Commends U.S.-Canadian Agreement on Climate and Energy and the Arctic
Mar 10, 2016
- Investors and companies are concerned that methane emissions pose a serious threat to climate stability, accelerating the rate of warming in the near term and threatening infrastructure and economic harm. Curbing this air pollution from existing sources as well as new facilities will help confront climate change while also promoting economic growth and regulatory clarity.