Oil & Gas News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the oil and gas industry and sustainability issues such as carbon emissions, chemicals and toxins, water scarcity and fossil fuels.
U.S. Oil and Gas Companies Not Adequately Disclosing Climate Risk
Jan 25, 2016
- Climate change poses risks to the operations of oil and gas companies. Yet, large U.S. oil and gas companies are not giving adequate disclosures to their investors about climate-related risks to their operations. Not one of the 23 American oil and gas companies in the S&P 500 index included the potential impact of an international agreement to limit climate change in their most recent disclosures.
New SEC Search Tool Shines Light on What Fossil Fuel Companies are Saying About Growing Carbon Asset Risks
Jan 12, 2016
- Wondering what oil companies are telling investors about growing pressures to reduce carbon pollution and what that means for their long-term oil exploration projects and overall business strategies? Ceres and CookESG Research now have a way to get the answer: a new web tool for accessing carbon asset risk disclosures in company filings with the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC).
Ceres President Applauds Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber issued a statement heralding the final international climate agreement announced in Paris.
Carney Backs Effort for Standard Company Climate Disclosure
Dec 04, 2015
- Bank of England Governor Mark Carney backed a global effort to bring greater transparency to the way companies disclose the risks they face from climate change, wading into a debate that has ensnared some of the biggest fossil-fuel producers.
New York AG mulls widening effect from Peabody climate settlement
Nov 13, 2015
- The New York state attorney general's office, which told Peabody Energy this week to give investors more details about how its sales would suffer from measures to curb global warming, is now mulling whether the tactic it used with the coal firm could be applied to companies beyond the energy sector.
Investors in Fossil Fuel Companies Boost Focus on Carbon Asset Risk in Warming World
Oct 16, 2015
- A new report cites climate change pressures, regulatory trends and market forces that have triggered a heightened investor focus on how energy companies are grappling with the transition to a low-carbon global economy.
US Businesses, Investors Urge Stronger Truck Standards
Sep 30, 2015
- Two major coalitions of business and investment leaders today called on the Obama Administration to strengthen its proposed rules for medium- and heavy-duty trucks, citing tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of millions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions that could be saved.
Statement from Mindy Lubber on Shell Announcement to Cease Offshore Oil Exploration in Arctic
Sep 28, 2015
- Shell's failed Arctic drilling endeavor is powerful evidence that the specter of stranded carbon assets is a real and growing problem for oil & gas companies.
California should stick with clean-fuel rule
Sep 22, 2015
- Though state lawmakers caved to the oil industry by spiking a plan to sharply reduce gasoline use, there’s another option for Sacramento in reducing climate change and promoting alternative sources to fill gas tanks. State regulators are close to extending a measure that cuts carbon levels in everyday driving fuel. The low-carbon standard is among a batch of policies designed to cut carbon dioxide, the chief greenhouse-gas culprit blamed for rising temperatures and whipsawing weather. Extending the mandate to cut levels in gas is an essential part of state strategies to curb climate change.
Major Companies Announce Support for California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard
Sep 22, 2015
- Thirty-six companies, including 11 based in California, issued a letter to California Air Resources Board Chairman Mary Nichols expressing strong support for the re-adoption of California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS), citing the standard’s influence on investment in cleaner transportation fuels. The letter was coordinated by Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP), a project of the nonprofit sustainability advocacy organization, Ceres.
Symantec, Levi Strauss & Co., Mars, Dignity Health, and Autodesk Join Dozens of Companies Supporting California’s Sweeping Climate Change Bills
Aug 25, 2015
- With barely two weeks left in the state legislative session, more than two-dozen California companies today announced their support for two major climate bills – SB 32 and SB 350.
Investors Applaud EPA’s Methane Emissions Rule
Aug 18, 2015
- Ceres and members of its $13 trillion Investor Network on Climate Risk applauded the EPA’s announcement today of draft rules to address and reduce methane emissions from the oil and gas industry – the largest industrial source of methane emissions in the U.S.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber re: EPA’s Clean Power Plan Final Rule
Aug 03, 2015
- "The Clean Power Plan is the right measure at the right time. It’s a flexible, practical and economically sound blueprint to transition America toward a low-carbon future."
365 Companies and Investors Announce Support for EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Jul 31, 2015
- The 365 businesses and investors – from small local companies to Fortune 500 leaders with headquarters and operations in all 50 states – is the largest-ever group of business voices to support the Clean Power Plan, the biggest carbon reducing measure in the country’s history.
18 Michigan Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Snyder's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 18 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Michigan issued a letter to Governor Rick Snyder offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
24 Ohio Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Kasich's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 24 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Ohio issued a letter to Governor John Kasich offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
Emissions from power plants fall even as economy improves
Jul 16, 2015
- Carbon emissions have fallen even as the economy has improved since the recession, according to a new report, bucking historical trends as well as arguments by opponents of President Obama's environmental and climate regulations who say the administration's policies would crimp the economy.
L’Oréal USA Deepens Commitment to Action on Climate Change
Jul 16, 2015
- n advance of the United Nations Climate Change Conference which will take place this fall inParis, L’Oréal USA announced today that it will further its commitment to sustainability by joining the Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy (BICEP) coalition, which advocates for broader clean energy policies.
Investors Worth $1.5 Trillion Support White House’s Methane Emissions Reduction Plan
Jul 01, 2015
- As recent data show methane emissions rising from the oil and gas industry, and the White House moves forward with rules to reduce this pollution, leading investors representing $1.5 trillion in assets under management released a statement of support today for a strong federal standard.
Levi Strauss & Co., Dignity Health, Gap Inc. & Autodesk Join 24 Companies Supporting California’s Sweeping Clean Energy Bill SB 350
May 28, 2015
- Today 24 companies with a large footprint in California announced their support for SB 350, the “Golden State’s Standard 50-50-50,” that sets new benchmarks for increasing renewable energy and energy efficiency and decreasing petroleum use by 2030.