Oil & Gas News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the oil and gas industry and sustainability issues such as carbon emissions, chemicals and toxins, water scarcity and fossil fuels.
Climate Activists Look For Solutions From Business, Diplomats
Sep 23, 2014
- Business and corporate leaders are starting to take climate risk seriously enough to put money on the table to do something about it.
Analyzing Climate Risk: Why Mandatory Reporting Matters
Sep 11, 2014
- Fully incorporating all risks, including climate change, into the investment-decision-making process will have a tangible impact in shifting significant capital away from high-carbon emitters toward clean energy alternatives.
Unilever, VF Corp., Mars Incorporated and New York State Comptroller Join 173 Companies and Investors in Supporting EPA’s New Carbon Standard
Jun 02, 2014
- In response to today’s release of a new EPA standard to limit carbon pollution from existing power plants, 128 companies and 49 investors, managing $800 billion in assets, sent letters of support to the Obama Administration, and to Senate and House majority and minority leaders.
Ceres Conference and Report Ask: Is Corporate Sustainability Gaining Ground or Losing Pace?
May 07, 2014
- Global social and ecological systems are now breaking down, facing us with a choice between watching trillions of dollars of value destroyed in stranded fossil fuel assets or harvesting trillions in value, newly created by clean energy.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on the National Climate Assessment
May 06, 2014
- "We simply can no longer afford to risk our children’s futures on the false hope that the vast majority of scientists are wrong."
Sister Patricia Daly, a Visionary Leader Dedicated to Environmental Justice, Wins the Joan Bavaria Award
Apr 30, 2014
- Long-time shareholder advocate and executive director of the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, Sister Patricia Daly, OP has been awarded the sixth-annual Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets.
Are The 613 Largest U.S. Public Companies Actually Working On Sustainability?
Apr 30, 2014
- Corporations are getting better at incorporating sustainability into their business structure, but not fast enough and not to the scale that the planet demands.
Ceres report: US corporate progress on sustainability remains incremental
Apr 30, 2014
- The latest evidence that businesses are failing to grasp the need to restructure their business models comes from an analysis of 613 major publicly listed US companies, which represent three-quarters of the country's total stock market capitalisation.
Business lobbying on climate change is 'a murmur and not a message'
Apr 11, 2014
- A coalition including IKEA, Mars and eBay is lobbying US government for regulation to curb climate change. But for Washington to listen, businesses must make it a core issue
Business Support for Policy Action on Climate Change Grows 20-Fold as the “Climate Declaration” Hits First Anniversary
Apr 10, 2014
- On the heels of a new UN report detailing damaging and accelerating impacts of climate change, top business executives from IKEA, JLL, Mars Inc., Sprint and VF Corp. met today with members of the Congressional Bicameral Task Force on Climate Change to discuss climate-related impacts on their companies.
Building a Sustainable Global Economy
Apr 04, 2014
- Ceres’ launch was inspired by the horrific Exxon Valdez oil spill. At that time the very idea of corporations having an ethic to measure and improve social and environmental performance beyond legal requirements was considered implausible. Today the landscape is remarkably different.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report
Mar 31, 2014
- Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report pulls no punches in concluding that our world is on a dangerous path and urgent action is needed now to reverse the pollution that is causing it.
Even oil companies don't want a 'roasted world'
Mar 25, 2014
- When climate scientist Rosina Bierbaum speaks, her central theme is the "roasted world" -- a bleak picture of what the planet will probably look like if carbon pollution continues unchecked.
In Shift, Exxon Mobil to Report on Risks to Its Fossil Fuel Assets
Mar 21, 2014
- Energy companies have been under increasing pressure from shareholder activists in recent years to warn investors of the risks that stricter limits on carbon emissions would place on their business.
Exxon Mobil agrees to report on climate change's effect on business model
Mar 21, 2014
- The oil giant Exxon Mobil has agreed for the first time to report on how climate change could affect its business model, campaign groups say.
How to Save Water on Fracking
Feb 24, 2014
- Among the environmental worries posed by hydraulic fracturing, including the release of methane into the air and contamination of groundwater, one has recently escalated: the concern that the enormous quantities of water used in fracking will leave parts of the country parched.
Fracking's water use sets up fight with cities and farmers
Feb 18, 2014
- It’s no secret that hydraulic fracturing in the production of oil and natural gas uses enormous amounts of water.
Investor group demands fossil fuel companies disclose carbon asset risk
Feb 12, 2014
- A group of investors with combined assets of over $200 billion filed shareholder resolutions on Wednesday with ten energy companies, including Exxon Mobil and Southern Co, demanding they disclose their strategies for competing in a lower-carbon future.
Shareholders File Resolutions to Press Fossil Fuel Companies on Low-Carbon Strategies, Carbon Asset Risk
Feb 12, 2014
- On the heels of the Investor Summit on Climate Risk at the United Nations, a half-dozen investors today announced the filing of shareholder resolutions with 10 fossil fuel companies.
The Carbon Time Bomb in Your Retirement Account
Dec 10, 2013
- Will climate change leave your investment portfolio stranded like a polar bear on melting ice floe? If your pension fund or 401(k) manager invests in fossil-fuel companies, it just might.