Oil & Gas News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the oil and gas industry and sustainability issues such as carbon emissions, chemicals and toxins, water scarcity and fossil fuels.
Symantec, Levi Strauss & Co., Mars, Dignity Health, and Autodesk Join Dozens of Companies Supporting California’s Sweeping Climate Change Bills
Aug 25, 2015
- With barely two weeks left in the state legislative session, more than two-dozen California companies today announced their support for two major climate bills – SB 32 and SB 350.
Investors Applaud EPA’s Methane Emissions Rule
Aug 18, 2015
- Ceres and members of its $13 trillion Investor Network on Climate Risk applauded the EPA’s announcement today of draft rules to address and reduce methane emissions from the oil and gas industry – the largest industrial source of methane emissions in the U.S.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber re: EPA’s Clean Power Plan Final Rule
Aug 03, 2015
- "The Clean Power Plan is the right measure at the right time. It’s a flexible, practical and economically sound blueprint to transition America toward a low-carbon future."
365 Companies and Investors Announce Support for EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Jul 31, 2015
- The 365 businesses and investors – from small local companies to Fortune 500 leaders with headquarters and operations in all 50 states – is the largest-ever group of business voices to support the Clean Power Plan, the biggest carbon reducing measure in the country’s history.
18 Michigan Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Snyder's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 18 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Michigan issued a letter to Governor Rick Snyder offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
24 Ohio Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Kasich's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 24 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Ohio issued a letter to Governor John Kasich offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
Emissions from power plants fall even as economy improves
Jul 16, 2015
- Carbon emissions have fallen even as the economy has improved since the recession, according to a new report, bucking historical trends as well as arguments by opponents of President Obama's environmental and climate regulations who say the administration's policies would crimp the economy.
L’Oréal USA Deepens Commitment to Action on Climate Change
Jul 16, 2015
- n advance of the United Nations Climate Change Conference which will take place this fall inParis, L’Oréal USA announced today that it will further its commitment to sustainability by joining the Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy (BICEP) coalition, which advocates for broader clean energy policies.
Investors Worth $1.5 Trillion Support White House’s Methane Emissions Reduction Plan
Jul 01, 2015
- As recent data show methane emissions rising from the oil and gas industry, and the White House moves forward with rules to reduce this pollution, leading investors representing $1.5 trillion in assets under management released a statement of support today for a strong federal standard.
Levi Strauss & Co., Dignity Health, Gap Inc. & Autodesk Join 24 Companies Supporting California’s Sweeping Clean Energy Bill SB 350
May 28, 2015
- Today 24 companies with a large footprint in California announced their support for SB 350, the “Golden State’s Standard 50-50-50,” that sets new benchmarks for increasing renewable energy and energy efficiency and decreasing petroleum use by 2030.
Investors push SEC to require stronger climate risk disclosure by fossil fuel companies
Apr 17, 2015
- Just one day after BP adopted a shareholder resolution to support better carbon asset risk disclosures, 62 institutional investors representing nearly $2 trillion in assets called on the SEC to push for better disclosure by oil and gas companies of critical climate change-related business risks.
Boston nonprofit Ceres stresses green effort
Feb 02, 2015
- Ceres, celebrating its 25th anniversary, has become one of the world’s most influential environmental advocates by harnessing capitalism to convince companies that sustainability is central to their competitiveness and bottom lines.
Shell bows to investor pressure on climate risk
Jan 29, 2015
- In a rare move, oil major Shell on Thursday backed a resolution proposed by activist investors to force the company to recognize climate change risks by improving its transparency.
Shell urges shareholders to accept climate resolution
Jan 29, 2015
- Shell is set to confront the risk that climate change may pose to its future, after backing a resolution from activist shareholders. The move came on the same day it announced $15bn (£10bn) in cost cutting due to plummeting oil prices and said it wanted to resume drilling for oil in the Arctic.
Dropping Oil Prices Highlight Growing Fossil Fuel Risks
Jan 29, 2015
- In advance of ExxonMobil, Shell and BP quarterly earnings calls, investors and industry analysts today voiced growing concerns about excessive industry spending on high-cost, high-carbon fossil fuel projects that may be bad financial bets as the world continues to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels, accelerate renewable energy and reduce overall carbon emissions to counter the threat of climate change.
Why businesses should support the EPA's pollution rules
Jan 27, 2015
- As the US political fight over climate change moves from Washington DC to 50 state capitals, companies that are serious about sustainability need to support the EPA’s proposed rules to curb carbon pollution from existing power plants.
Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy Applauds New White House Methane Goal
Jan 14, 2015
- A U.S. company network, Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP), applauds the Obama Administration’s announcement today of a new goal, and proposed suite of actions, to cut methane emissions from the oil and gas industry by 40 to 45 percent from 2012 levels by 2025.
Investors question forecasts from ExxonMobil and other oil companies
Dec 12, 2014
- As climate talks wind down in Lima, investors are pressuring fossil fuel companies to account for climate change in business strategies. Yet many still forge ahead as if little has changed
Not business as usual: 200 firms back EPA climate regs
Dec 03, 2014
- More than 200 U.S. companies came together to support a major reduction in carbon pollution from power plants proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Nike, IKEA join 221 companies in backing EPA’s climate rule
Dec 03, 2014
- Major sportswear retailer Nike and furniture giant IKEA are backing the administration’s landmark climate rule on carbon pollution from existing power plants.