Oil & Gas News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the oil and gas industry and sustainability issues such as carbon emissions, chemicals and toxins, water scarcity and fossil fuels.
Levi Strauss & Co., Dignity Health, Gap Inc. & Autodesk Join 24 Companies Supporting California’s Sweeping Clean Energy Bill SB 350
May 28, 2015
- Today 24 companies with a large footprint in California announced their support for SB 350, the “Golden State’s Standard 50-50-50,” that sets new benchmarks for increasing renewable energy and energy efficiency and decreasing petroleum use by 2030.
Investors push SEC to require stronger climate risk disclosure by fossil fuel companies
Apr 17, 2015
- Just one day after BP adopted a shareholder resolution to support better carbon asset risk disclosures, 62 institutional investors representing nearly $2 trillion in assets called on the SEC to push for better disclosure by oil and gas companies of critical climate change-related business risks.
Boston nonprofit Ceres stresses green effort
Feb 02, 2015
- Ceres, celebrating its 25th anniversary, has become one of the world’s most influential environmental advocates by harnessing capitalism to convince companies that sustainability is central to their competitiveness and bottom lines.
Shell bows to investor pressure on climate risk
Jan 29, 2015
- In a rare move, oil major Shell on Thursday backed a resolution proposed by activist investors to force the company to recognize climate change risks by improving its transparency.
Shell urges shareholders to accept climate resolution
Jan 29, 2015
- Shell is set to confront the risk that climate change may pose to its future, after backing a resolution from activist shareholders. The move came on the same day it announced $15bn (£10bn) in cost cutting due to plummeting oil prices and said it wanted to resume drilling for oil in the Arctic.
Dropping Oil Prices Highlight Growing Fossil Fuel Risks
Jan 29, 2015
- In advance of ExxonMobil, Shell and BP quarterly earnings calls, investors and industry analysts today voiced growing concerns about excessive industry spending on high-cost, high-carbon fossil fuel projects that may be bad financial bets as the world continues to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels, accelerate renewable energy and reduce overall carbon emissions to counter the threat of climate change.
Why businesses should support the EPA's pollution rules
Jan 27, 2015
- As the US political fight over climate change moves from Washington DC to 50 state capitals, companies that are serious about sustainability need to support the EPA’s proposed rules to curb carbon pollution from existing power plants.
Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy Applauds New White House Methane Goal
Jan 14, 2015
- A U.S. company network, Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP), applauds the Obama Administration’s announcement today of a new goal, and proposed suite of actions, to cut methane emissions from the oil and gas industry by 40 to 45 percent from 2012 levels by 2025.
Investors question forecasts from ExxonMobil and other oil companies
Dec 12, 2014
- As climate talks wind down in Lima, investors are pressuring fossil fuel companies to account for climate change in business strategies. Yet many still forge ahead as if little has changed
Not business as usual: 200 firms back EPA climate regs
Dec 03, 2014
- More than 200 U.S. companies came together to support a major reduction in carbon pollution from power plants proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Nike, IKEA join 221 companies in backing EPA’s climate rule
Dec 03, 2014
- Major sportswear retailer Nike and furniture giant IKEA are backing the administration’s landmark climate rule on carbon pollution from existing power plants.
U.S. and China announcement sends low carbon signal to private sector
Nov 13, 2014
- In an unprecedented act of collaboration, the United States and China have provided additional momentum to tackle global climate change by agreeing to reduce their carbon emissions. This commitment represents a crucial signal for the increasing number of businesses who have been reshaping their investments to drive a low carbon economy.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
Scientists Press For Climate Change Action
Nov 05, 2014
- With this week's release of the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Synthesis Report, scientists from across the world lit another torch of urgency for climate action.
Climate Activists Look For Solutions From Business, Diplomats
Sep 23, 2014
- Business and corporate leaders are starting to take climate risk seriously enough to put money on the table to do something about it.
Analyzing Climate Risk: Why Mandatory Reporting Matters
Sep 11, 2014
- Fully incorporating all risks, including climate change, into the investment-decision-making process will have a tangible impact in shifting significant capital away from high-carbon emitters toward clean energy alternatives.
Unilever, VF Corp., Mars Incorporated and New York State Comptroller Join 173 Companies and Investors in Supporting EPA’s New Carbon Standard
Jun 02, 2014
- In response to today’s release of a new EPA standard to limit carbon pollution from existing power plants, 128 companies and 49 investors, managing $800 billion in assets, sent letters of support to the Obama Administration, and to Senate and House majority and minority leaders.
Ceres Conference and Report Ask: Is Corporate Sustainability Gaining Ground or Losing Pace?
May 07, 2014
- Global social and ecological systems are now breaking down, facing us with a choice between watching trillions of dollars of value destroyed in stranded fossil fuel assets or harvesting trillions in value, newly created by clean energy.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on the National Climate Assessment
May 06, 2014
- "We simply can no longer afford to risk our children’s futures on the false hope that the vast majority of scientists are wrong."
Sister Patricia Daly, a Visionary Leader Dedicated to Environmental Justice, Wins the Joan Bavaria Award
Apr 30, 2014
- Long-time shareholder advocate and executive director of the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, Sister Patricia Daly, OP has been awarded the sixth-annual Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets.