Electric Power News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the electric power industry and sustainability issues such as water scarcity, climate change, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
New Report: U.S. Power Sector Continues Significant Reductions of Air Pollutant Emissions
Jul 13, 2016
- The nation’s largest electric producers continue to substantially reduce emissions of key air pollutants, the latest comprehensive analysis of U.S. power plant emissions shows.
Ceres Ranks U.S. Electric Utility Companies’ Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency Performance
Jun 28, 2016
- A new analysis released by Ceres shows that many of the nation’s largest electric utilities and their local subsidiaries are moving toward lower carbon fuel sources and that ambitious state policies and strong corporate demand for renewable energy are key drivers of this trend.
Ceres Commends PG&E On Its Plan To Retire Its Nuclear Power Plant
Jun 21, 2016
- Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber in response to PG&E’s proposal to retire the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant at the end of its current licenses and replace the plant’s output with a combination of zero-carbon resources, including energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy storage.
Global investors launch guide to drive engagement on climate risk with the electric utilities sector
Apr 28, 2016
- A week after more than 170 countries signed the Paris Agreement and investors voted on a shareholder climate risk resolution at the AGM of US utility AES Corporation, a global network of more than 270 institutional investors (representing assets worth over €20 trillion) has published a guide setting out the threats facing the utilities sector and investor expectations for how these companies must act to adapt their business strategies to a 2°C climate change pathway.
Major brand companies across industries filing legal brief supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Apr 01, 2016
- Four global brand companies with significant energy footprints in nearly every state in the country are filing an amicus brief today in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit supporting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing carbon pollution from the nation’s electric sector.
Ceres Commends U.S.-Canadian Agreement on Climate and Energy and the Arctic
Mar 10, 2016
- Investors and companies are concerned that methane emissions pose a serious threat to climate stability, accelerating the rate of warming in the near term and threatening infrastructure and economic harm. Curbing this air pollution from existing sources as well as new facilities will help confront climate change while also promoting economic growth and regulatory clarity.
Statements from Companies and Investors in Support of EPA’s Clean Power Plan in Wake of Supreme Court Ruling
Feb 11, 2016
- Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan. Hear what some of these leaders have to say.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling temporarily staying EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Feb 10, 2016
- Ceres strongly disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision to stay the Clean Power Plan while litigation proceeds. Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan and they're backing their words with deeds.
New report: $12.1 trillion must be invested in new renewable power generation over next 25 years to limit climate change
Jan 29, 2016
- To reach the level of investment in new renewable power generation needed to avert dangerous climate change, $12.1 trillion of investment will be needed over the next 25 years, which is $5.2 trillion above business-as-usual projections, a new report by Ceres and Bloomberg New Energy Finance concludes.
500 Global Investors Managing Trillions Mobilize Action in Wake of Paris Climate Agreement
Jan 27, 2016
- On the heels of the historic international climate agreement in Paris, more than 500 global investors gathered at the United Nations to begin mobilizing the trillions of dollars needed to catalyze the global clean energy transition.
Ceres President Applauds Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber issued a statement heralding the final international climate agreement announced in Paris.
Ceres Releases Report Proposing New 21st Century Electric Utility Model Aligned with Clean Energy Goals
Nov 09, 2015
- As regulators, industry representatives and advocates discuss power sector challenges at the 2015 National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners’ (NARUC) annual meeting, Ceres released a report outlining a pathway to align the electric utility business model with increased clean energy deployment and long-term financial viability amid growing climate change concerns.
Investors in Fossil Fuel Companies Boost Focus on Carbon Asset Risk in Warming World
Oct 16, 2015
- A new report cites climate change pressures, regulatory trends and market forces that have triggered a heightened investor focus on how energy companies are grappling with the transition to a low-carbon global economy.
Ceres Applauds Governor Snyder’s Commitment to Comply with EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Sep 01, 2015
- Citing strong business support for Michigan’s emerging clean-energy economy, Ceres president Mindy Lubber praised Governor Rick Snyder (R-MI) for his announcement today that the state will be filing a state implementation plan to comply with the US EPA’s Clean Power Plan to reduce carbon pollution from existing power plants.
365 Companies and Investors Announce Support for EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Jul 31, 2015
- The 365 businesses and investors – from small local companies to Fortune 500 leaders with headquarters and operations in all 50 states – is the largest-ever group of business voices to support the Clean Power Plan, the biggest carbon reducing measure in the country’s history.
18 Michigan Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Snyder's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 18 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Michigan issued a letter to Governor Rick Snyder offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
24 Ohio Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Kasich's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 24 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Ohio issued a letter to Governor John Kasich offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
New Report: U.S. Power Sector Continues to Reduce Air Pollution Emissions in Advance of EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Jul 14, 2015
- The most comprehensive analysis to date on U.S. power plant air pollution emissions shows that most of the nation’s largest electric utilities have seen significant reductions in global warming pollution in recent years.
Apple Joins Ceres Company Network
May 14, 2015
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Apple as the newest member of the Ceres Company Network. Companies that join the Ceres network demonstrate an executive-level commitment to sustainability and strive to further integrate sustainability into their business strategies.
Nestlé, JLL, Novelis Inc., and Levi Strauss & Co Join 223 Companies in Supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Dec 02, 2014
- Marking the end of the comment period on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, 223 companies today announced their support for EPA’s proposed carbon standard for electric power plants, including industry giants such as IKEA, Mars Inc., VF Corporation, and Nestlé.