Electric Power News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the electric power industry and sustainability issues such as water scarcity, climate change, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling temporarily staying EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Feb 10, 2016
- Ceres strongly disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision to stay the Clean Power Plan while litigation proceeds. Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan and they're backing their words with deeds.
New report: $12.1 trillion must be invested in new renewable power generation over next 25 years to limit climate change
Jan 29, 2016
- To reach the level of investment in new renewable power generation needed to avert dangerous climate change, $12.1 trillion of investment will be needed over the next 25 years, which is $5.2 trillion above business-as-usual projections, a new report by Ceres and Bloomberg New Energy Finance concludes.
500 Global Investors Managing Trillions Mobilize Action in Wake of Paris Climate Agreement
Jan 27, 2016
- On the heels of the historic international climate agreement in Paris, more than 500 global investors gathered at the United Nations to begin mobilizing the trillions of dollars needed to catalyze the global clean energy transition.
Ceres President Applauds Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber issued a statement heralding the final international climate agreement announced in Paris.
Ceres Releases Report Proposing New 21st Century Electric Utility Model Aligned with Clean Energy Goals
Nov 09, 2015
- As regulators, industry representatives and advocates discuss power sector challenges at the 2015 National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners’ (NARUC) annual meeting, Ceres released a report outlining a pathway to align the electric utility business model with increased clean energy deployment and long-term financial viability amid growing climate change concerns.
Investors in Fossil Fuel Companies Boost Focus on Carbon Asset Risk in Warming World
Oct 16, 2015
- A new report cites climate change pressures, regulatory trends and market forces that have triggered a heightened investor focus on how energy companies are grappling with the transition to a low-carbon global economy.
Ceres Applauds Governor Snyder’s Commitment to Comply with EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Sep 01, 2015
- Citing strong business support for Michigan’s emerging clean-energy economy, Ceres president Mindy Lubber praised Governor Rick Snyder (R-MI) for his announcement today that the state will be filing a state implementation plan to comply with the US EPA’s Clean Power Plan to reduce carbon pollution from existing power plants.
365 Companies and Investors Announce Support for EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Jul 31, 2015
- The 365 businesses and investors – from small local companies to Fortune 500 leaders with headquarters and operations in all 50 states – is the largest-ever group of business voices to support the Clean Power Plan, the biggest carbon reducing measure in the country’s history.
18 Michigan Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Snyder's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 18 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Michigan issued a letter to Governor Rick Snyder offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
24 Ohio Companies and Investors Urge Gov. Kasich's Timely Implementation of EPA's Clean Power Plan
Jul 30, 2015
- Today, 24 businesses and investors with a significant presence in Ohio issued a letter to Governor John Kasich offering strong support for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, and encouraging the state’s “timely finalization” of its implementation plan.
New Report: U.S. Power Sector Continues to Reduce Air Pollution Emissions in Advance of EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Jul 14, 2015
- The most comprehensive analysis to date on U.S. power plant air pollution emissions shows that most of the nation’s largest electric utilities have seen significant reductions in global warming pollution in recent years.
Apple Joins Ceres Company Network
May 14, 2015
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Apple as the newest member of the Ceres Company Network. Companies that join the Ceres network demonstrate an executive-level commitment to sustainability and strive to further integrate sustainability into their business strategies.
Nestlé, JLL, Novelis Inc., and Levi Strauss & Co Join 223 Companies in Supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Dec 02, 2014
- Marking the end of the comment period on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, 223 companies today announced their support for EPA’s proposed carbon standard for electric power plants, including industry giants such as IKEA, Mars Inc., VF Corporation, and Nestlé.
New Report: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Provide Low-Risk, Low-Cost Options for Utility Investment
Nov 17, 2014
- As public attention is focused on the U.S. EPA's proposal for reducing carbon pollution from U.S. power plants, a new Ceres report finds that energy efficiency and specific renewable energy technologies are the most attractive options for U.S. utilities to meet future energy demand.
U.S. and China announcement sends low carbon signal to private sector
Nov 13, 2014
- In an unprecedented act of collaboration, the United States and China have provided additional momentum to tackle global climate change by agreeing to reduce their carbon emissions. This commitment represents a crucial signal for the increasing number of businesses who have been reshaping their investments to drive a low carbon economy.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
First-Of-Its-Kind Report Ranks U.S. Electric Utility Companies’ Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency Performance
Jul 24, 2014
- As the U.S. EPA prepares for listening sessions on its Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, a new report from Ceres and Clean Edge ranks the nation’s largest electric utilities and their local subsidiaries on their renewable energy sales and energy efficiency savings.
New Analysis: America’s Largest Companies are Jumping on Clean Energy Bandwagon and Saving More Than $1 Billion a Year
Jun 19, 2014
- The nation’s largest companies are leaving Washington gridlock on climate change behind and rapidly embracing renewable energy sourcing and greenhouse gas emissions reduction efforts, according to a new report from Calvert Investments, Ceres, David Gardiner & Associates, and World Wildlife Fund.
Unilever, VF Corp., Mars Incorporated and New York State Comptroller Join 173 Companies and Investors in Supporting EPA’s New Carbon Standard
Jun 02, 2014
- In response to today’s release of a new EPA standard to limit carbon pollution from existing power plants, 128 companies and 49 investors, managing $800 billion in assets, sent letters of support to the Obama Administration, and to Senate and House majority and minority leaders.
New Report Shows Decline in Carbon Dioxide and Other Pollutants from U.S. Power Plants, but State and Power Company Emissions Vary Widely
May 28, 2014
- A new report on U.S. power plant emissions from the country’s top 100 electric power producers shows a downward trend in nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxides, mercury and carbon dioxide. The findings show that the industry is already shifting toward a combination of increased energy efficiency and lower carbon fuel sources, which should help it meet new EPA carbon standards.