Electric Power News
Read news articles, blogs and press releases about the electric power industry and sustainability issues such as water scarcity, climate change, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
Apple Joins Ceres Company Network
May 14, 2015
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Apple as the newest member of the Ceres Company Network. Companies that join the Ceres network demonstrate an executive-level commitment to sustainability and strive to further integrate sustainability into their business strategies.
Nestlé, JLL, Novelis Inc., and Levi Strauss & Co Join 223 Companies in Supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Dec 02, 2014
- Marking the end of the comment period on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, 223 companies today announced their support for EPA’s proposed carbon standard for electric power plants, including industry giants such as IKEA, Mars Inc., VF Corporation, and Nestlé.
New Report: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Provide Low-Risk, Low-Cost Options for Utility Investment
Nov 17, 2014
- As public attention is focused on the U.S. EPA's proposal for reducing carbon pollution from U.S. power plants, a new Ceres report finds that energy efficiency and specific renewable energy technologies are the most attractive options for U.S. utilities to meet future energy demand.
U.S. and China announcement sends low carbon signal to private sector
Nov 13, 2014
- In an unprecedented act of collaboration, the United States and China have provided additional momentum to tackle global climate change by agreeing to reduce their carbon emissions. This commitment represents a crucial signal for the increasing number of businesses who have been reshaping their investments to drive a low carbon economy.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
First-Of-Its-Kind Report Ranks U.S. Electric Utility Companies’ Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency Performance
Jul 24, 2014
- As the U.S. EPA prepares for listening sessions on its Clean Power Plan for existing power plants, a new report from Ceres and Clean Edge ranks the nation’s largest electric utilities and their local subsidiaries on their renewable energy sales and energy efficiency savings.
New Analysis: America’s Largest Companies are Jumping on Clean Energy Bandwagon and Saving More Than $1 Billion a Year
Jun 19, 2014
- The nation’s largest companies are leaving Washington gridlock on climate change behind and rapidly embracing renewable energy sourcing and greenhouse gas emissions reduction efforts, according to a new report from Calvert Investments, Ceres, David Gardiner & Associates, and World Wildlife Fund.
Unilever, VF Corp., Mars Incorporated and New York State Comptroller Join 173 Companies and Investors in Supporting EPA’s New Carbon Standard
Jun 02, 2014
- In response to today’s release of a new EPA standard to limit carbon pollution from existing power plants, 128 companies and 49 investors, managing $800 billion in assets, sent letters of support to the Obama Administration, and to Senate and House majority and minority leaders.
New Report Shows Decline in Carbon Dioxide and Other Pollutants from U.S. Power Plants, but State and Power Company Emissions Vary Widely
May 28, 2014
- A new report on U.S. power plant emissions from the country’s top 100 electric power producers shows a downward trend in nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxides, mercury and carbon dioxide. The findings show that the industry is already shifting toward a combination of increased energy efficiency and lower carbon fuel sources, which should help it meet new EPA carbon standards.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on the National Climate Assessment
May 06, 2014
- "We simply can no longer afford to risk our children’s futures on the false hope that the vast majority of scientists are wrong."
Sister Patricia Daly, a Visionary Leader Dedicated to Environmental Justice, Wins the Joan Bavaria Award
Apr 30, 2014
- Long-time shareholder advocate and executive director of the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, Sister Patricia Daly, OP has been awarded the sixth-annual Joan Bavaria Award for Building Sustainability into the Capital Markets.
Michigan Energy Office, business leaders highlight economic opportunity created by state’s clean energy policies
Nov 20, 2013
- Michigan-based wind supplier Ventower Industries and Boston Common Asset Management investor Steven Heim laid out the economic case for encouraging continued renewable energy development in Michigan.
Ceres Touts Economic Opportunity of Carbon Standards for Existing Power Plants at Boston EPA Listening Session
Nov 04, 2013
- During a listening session hosted today by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Ceres staff members testified to the economic opportunity provided by addressing climate change and spoke out in support of the EPA’s proposed rules for existing power plants.
Investors ask fossil fuel companies to assess how business plans fare in low-carbon future
Oct 24, 2013
- A group of 70 global investors managing more than $3 trillion of collective assets launched the first-ever coordinated effort to spur 45 of the world’s top oil and gas, coal and electric power companies to assess the financial risks that climate change poses to their business plans.
Major U.S. Companies and Investors Support Carbon Pollution Standards for New Power Plants
Sep 20, 2013
- Nearly two-dozen major U.S. companies and nearly 50 investors with more than $900 billion of collective assets announced their support today for new carbon pollution standards proposed by the EPA for new power plants.
Investors Highlight Policies That Could Spur Multi-Billion Dollar Opportunity in Energy Efficiency Investments
May 21, 2013
- Energy efficiency is estimated to be a multi-hundred-billion dollar investment opportunity in the United States, but better policies are required to unlock broad-based financing from institutional investors, who together manage approximately $70 trillion in assets globally.
New Report Reveals States and Utilities with Highest and Lowest Power Plant Emissions; Overall U.S. Emissions Decline
May 15, 2013
- A new report on U.S. power plant emissions from the top 100 power producers shows that the electric industry cut emissions of NOx, SO2 and CO2 in 2011 even as overall electricity generation increased, largely due to increased use of natural gas and growing reliance on renewable energy.