Continuing our efforts to lead by example, Ceres has taken many measures to minimize the environmental impacts associated with the planning and execution of our annual conference.
From our selection of The Fairmont Hotel as our host hotel to the ink on our printing materials and at a thousand points in between, we have worked to be mindful of the environmental consequences of our choices in the hope that the Ceres Conference 2013 will showcase how a commitment to environmental responsibility can be honored in a conference setting without compromising quality or professionalism.
In order to reduce resource use and waste, Ceres limits the size and quantity of the printed materials produced for our conference. We also pay special attention to the sourcing and methods used in producing and printing these materials. All print materials for the conference are printed with vegetable or soy-based ink on 100% post-consumer content chlorine-free recycled paper. All conference signage is printed on 100% recyclable materials and are recycled after each conference. We also offer all of our conference materials electronically.
Through various sustainable efforts such as a recycling program for paper, plastic, glass, aluminum, cans, cardboard, and grease and a community program that donates unused paper products to local non-profit organizations; the Fairmont Hotel is dedicated being more sustainable and supporting their community.
- Recycling bins can be found in all guest rooms and meeting spaces throughout hotel.
- Housekeeping staff are instructed to shut blinds and turn down heat/air conditioning and turn off lights during the day in rooms while attendees are gone
- Ecofriendly thermostats that monitor if the room is vacant and automatically sets to 72 degrees until the guest returns
- All cleaning products used do not introduce toxins into the air and water.
- The hotel also uses a towel/sheet reuse program
Food and Beverage
- Locally grown and organic products used as often as possible.
- Glass or china used for all catering plates, cups and glasses
- Condiments served in bulk to reduce packaging waste
- Cloth napkins used
Ceres encourages the use of public transportation whenever possible. The Fairmont hotel is located in the Nob Hill area of San Francisco. For more information and directions, please visit the Bay Area Rapid Transportation website.