Company Related News
language here about news related to corporate sustainability
As Big Food Feels Threat Of Climate Change, Companies Speak Up
Dec 01, 2015
- Chances are, you've picked up some chatter about the new global talks on climate change. If you can't quite see how it matters to you, personally, you might want to take a peek inside your pantry. Or your candy jar. Because it might just affect your access to everything from cheese to chocolate.
A who's who among the COP21 commitments
Nov 30, 2015
- So, you support a strong global agreement at the U.N. Conference of the Parties? You want business, NGOs, policymakers and every stakeholder you forgot to mention to unite for once and for all to save the world. Of course you do. Put your name in lights in the City of Lights for what some see as an ultimate peace conference.
Business & financial sectors converge at COP21
Nov 25, 2015
- Dozens of major companies and investors from across the United States will be joining the nonprofit sustainability group Ceres at the upcoming climate negotiations in Paris in support of a strong global climate deal that will accelerate the shift to a low-carbon, clean energy economy.
Paris climate summit: why more women need seats at the table
Nov 20, 2015
- Women, particularly those in developing countries, are on the frontlines of a changing climate. Extreme weather events, deforestation and loss of biodiversity threaten their survival and that of their families. Yet, when confronted with social and economic exclusion, women’s vulnerabilities remain hidden and their voices quiet.
Mindy Lubber Statement, in response to the World Federation of Exchanges' Sustainability Reporting Guidance Launch
Nov 04, 2015
- For several years, Ceres and our investor members have worked with individual exchanges and the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE) on sustainability reporting standards. Ceres President Mindy Lubber issued a statement regarding the progress made and the work ahead for global exchanges and sustainability reporting.
How To Show Corporate Leadership In Sustainability
Nov 03, 2015
- What progress are we seeing from board directors, in terms of demonstrating sustainability leadership? A recently published report includes insights from dozens of interviews with senior corporate leaders and governance experts; Dr. Bob Eccles discusses how the findings are timely and valuable for developing robust sustainability oversight.
Ceres report: How board directors can elevate sustainability more effectively at companies
Oct 28, 2015
- Broadening board compositions, reduced focus on quarterly returns and stronger compensation linkages are just a few of the ways that board directors can elevate sustainability concerns more effectively at the companies they serve on. A new Ceres report highlights the generally weak performance of U.S. corporate boards in prioritizing environmental and social issues and recommendations for boosting their effectiveness.
Major U.S. Companies Join White House Climate Action Pledge
Oct 19, 2015
- Companies making the pledge have set significant greenhouse gas reduction and renewable energy sourcing goals for 2020 and beyond, and are focusing on increasing energy efficiency, boosting low-carbon investing and making sustainability more accessible to low-income Americans.
Food industry executives call on Congress for climate change action
Oct 08, 2015
- If the US Congress is to take meaningful action to curb climate change, the support of corporate America and Republicans will be required. This is why a meeting of food industry executives and politicians on Capitol Hill may be the first glimmer of a bipartisan approach to climate action.
Global Food Companies Unite On Climate Action
Sep 30, 2015
- With key international climate negotiations fast approaching in Paris, the chief executive officers of major U.S. food and beverage companies released a joint letter to U.S. and world leaders pledging to accelerate business action on climate change and urging governments to do the same by forging a robust international agreement this December.
US Businesses, Investors Urge Stronger Truck Standards
Sep 30, 2015
- Two major coalitions of business and investment leaders today called on the Obama Administration to strengthen its proposed rules for medium- and heavy-duty trucks, citing tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of millions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions that could be saved.
Mars' mission: Back Obama on cleaner emissions
Sep 28, 2015
- Like Pope Francis, major corporations around the world are stepping up their calls for governments to take dramatic steps to address climate change. Among them is Mars Inc., the maker of M&Ms, Snickers bars and other foods, which is well known for its reputation for keeping quiet on most business matters. But when it comes to the environment, the company is outspoken.
Major U.S. banks call for leadership in addressing climate change
Sep 28, 2015
- Six major U.S. banks – Bank of America, Citi, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo – have issued a joint statement calling for cooperation among governments in reaching a global climate agreement. The statement, published today by the sustainability advocacy nonprofit Ceres, voiced support for policy frameworks that “will provide greater market certainty, accelerate investment, drive innovation in low carbon energy, and create jobs.”
Major Companies Announce Support for California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard
Sep 22, 2015
- Thirty-six companies, including 11 based in California, issued a letter to California Air Resources Board Chairman Mary Nichols expressing strong support for the re-adoption of California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS), citing the standard’s influence on investment in cleaner transportation fuels. The letter was coordinated by Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP), a project of the nonprofit sustainability advocacy organization, Ceres.
The Global Imperative of the 'Clean Trillion'
Sep 18, 2015
- Climate change is the most significant threat to sustainable development. Left unchecked, it threatens to undermine progress on nearly all of the other Sustainable Development Goals -- from ending poverty and hunger to ensuring access to clean water and decent work.
The Key To Improving Corporate Disclosure? Stock Exchanges
Sep 08, 2015
- The phrase “ESG disclosure” was on the lips of hundreds of investors at the annual Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) conference in London today. And there’s a reason why the much-debated corporate disclosure gap on global sustainability challenges was center-stage: today, the United Nations released long-awaited Model Guidance on ESG Reporting for use by global stock exchanges.
Words Matter in the Paris Climate Agreement
Sep 02, 2015
- Words matter. This is especially true for the Paris Agreement on climate change to be concluded this December. Businesses and investors have a clear stake in the words in the agreement and in the political commitment behind them, which will underpin the policy certainty they need to build the low-carbon economy. Getting the right words in the right place is essential to success.
Ceres Applauds Governor Snyder’s Commitment to Comply with EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Sep 01, 2015
- Citing strong business support for Michigan’s emerging clean-energy economy, Ceres president Mindy Lubber praised Governor Rick Snyder (R-MI) for his announcement today that the state will be filing a state implementation plan to comply with the US EPA’s Clean Power Plan to reduce carbon pollution from existing power plants.
Why Corporate America is Supporting EPA's Clean Power Plan
Aug 03, 2015
- Today, as I joined President Obama at the White House and looked on as EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy issued the agency’s final Clean Power Plan rule, I found myself reflecting on how much has changed in the past 25 years
Statement by Ceres President Mindy S. Lubber in response to White House Announcement: American Business Act on Climate Pledge
Jul 27, 2015
- This $140 billion in low-carbon investments are exactly the kinds of commitments we need to boost clean energy projects and other low-carbon solutions globally.