Company Related News
language here about news related to corporate sustainability
The Global Imperative of the 'Clean Trillion'
Sep 18, 2015
- Climate change is the most significant threat to sustainable development. Left unchecked, it threatens to undermine progress on nearly all of the other Sustainable Development Goals -- from ending poverty and hunger to ensuring access to clean water and decent work.
The Key To Improving Corporate Disclosure? Stock Exchanges
Sep 08, 2015
- The phrase “ESG disclosure” was on the lips of hundreds of investors at the annual Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) conference in London today. And there’s a reason why the much-debated corporate disclosure gap on global sustainability challenges was center-stage: today, the United Nations released long-awaited Model Guidance on ESG Reporting for use by global stock exchanges.
Words Matter in the Paris Climate Agreement
Sep 02, 2015
- Words matter. This is especially true for the Paris Agreement on climate change to be concluded this December. Businesses and investors have a clear stake in the words in the agreement and in the political commitment behind them, which will underpin the policy certainty they need to build the low-carbon economy. Getting the right words in the right place is essential to success.
Ceres Applauds Governor Snyder’s Commitment to Comply with EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Sep 01, 2015
- Citing strong business support for Michigan’s emerging clean-energy economy, Ceres president Mindy Lubber praised Governor Rick Snyder (R-MI) for his announcement today that the state will be filing a state implementation plan to comply with the US EPA’s Clean Power Plan to reduce carbon pollution from existing power plants.
Why Corporate America is Supporting EPA's Clean Power Plan
Aug 03, 2015
- Today, as I joined President Obama at the White House and looked on as EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy issued the agency’s final Clean Power Plan rule, I found myself reflecting on how much has changed in the past 25 years
Statement by Ceres President Mindy S. Lubber in response to White House Announcement: American Business Act on Climate Pledge
Jul 27, 2015
- This $140 billion in low-carbon investments are exactly the kinds of commitments we need to boost clean energy projects and other low-carbon solutions globally.
Emissions from power plants fall even as economy improves
Jul 16, 2015
- Carbon emissions have fallen even as the economy has improved since the recession, according to a new report, bucking historical trends as well as arguments by opponents of President Obama's environmental and climate regulations who say the administration's policies would crimp the economy.
Environmental Group Helps Big Companies to Change Practices
May 26, 2015
- Who has enough clout to get Fortune 500 giants like PepsiCola, Nike, Disney, Ikea and Apple to change their environmental practices? That credit would go to a Boston-based nonprofit with 80 employees and an $11 million budget, Ceres.
Apple Joins Ceres Company Network
May 14, 2015
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Apple as the newest member of the Ceres Company Network. Companies that join the Ceres network demonstrate an executive-level commitment to sustainability and strive to further integrate sustainability into their business strategies.
New Report: Major Food Companies Must Adapt to Escalating Global Water Risks
May 07, 2015
- Major U.S. food companies need to adopt far stronger practices to use limited global water resources more efficiently, according to a report released today by Ceres, a nonprofit sustainability advocacy group.
Epic Drought Forces California Grower to Re-think Water
May 05, 2015
- California’s drought is challenging for all farmers, but it’s especially daunting for growers like Barat Bisabri, who is being forced to re-think his entire business model when it comes to water.
Fortune 500s Hitting The Hill On Earth Day
Apr 21, 2015
- For many companies, Earth Day is a time for releasing corporate sustainability reports, unveiling new environmental initiatives or sponsoring community festivals honoring the day. All laudable initiatives, but with the clock ticking on our ability to limit global temperature increases to 2 degrees Celsius to avoid catastrophic climate change, companies need to up their
Changing the Business Climate in 2015
Apr 14, 2015
- Six years ago, when an international climate treaty in Copenhagen seemed distinctly possible, there was still a discernible gap between the concept of a low-carbon global economy and the capital market’s ability to deliver it.
Gloom does not have to mean doom in California
Apr 03, 2015
- The water news from California keeps getting worse. This week’s final snowpack tally from the Sierra Nevada mountains – one of the state's key water lifelines – is "dire" and "obliterated" previous record lows, David Rizzardo, chief of snow surveys and water supply forecasting at California's Department of Water Resources, told reporters on Wednesday.
Levi Strauss & Co.: Connecting the Drops With Your Jeans
Mar 17, 2015
- Levi Strauss & Co. recently joined Ceres’ “Connect the Drops” campaign to show our support for the importance of water conservation in California. As a company, we’re committed to increasing awareness around this critical issue. That’s why, after undertaking a new Product Lifecycle Assessment (LCA), we’ve announced a new campaign to educate consumers about the environmental impact of their jeans.
General Mills, Driscoll’s, Coca-Cola & KB Home Launch Business Campaign Urging Bolder Strategies To Conserve Water
Mar 05, 2015
- As California’s devastating drought enters its fourth year, and farmers face a second consecutive year with reduced surface water supplies, a diverse coalition of global businesses with significant supply chains or operations in California today announced Connect the Drops, a new campaign urging aggressive measures to maximize California's local and state water resources.
Boston nonprofit Ceres stresses green effort
Feb 02, 2015
- Ceres, celebrating its 25th anniversary, has become one of the world’s most influential environmental advocates by harnessing capitalism to convince companies that sustainability is central to their competitiveness and bottom lines.
Why businesses should support the EPA's pollution rules
Jan 27, 2015
- As the US political fight over climate change moves from Washington DC to 50 state capitals, companies that are serious about sustainability need to support the EPA’s proposed rules to curb carbon pollution from existing power plants.
9 Reasons Not to be Depressed About the Planet
Dec 30, 2014
- Don’t leave 2014 without realizing there have been notable — often underreported — big capital market breakthroughs on climate change, water protection and other sustainability fronts.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.