Company Related News
language here about news related to corporate sustainability
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Still Leaves a Painful Legacy
Mar 24, 2014
- Exactly 25 years ago, 260,000 barrels of crude oil from the Exxon Valdez oil tanker inundated the frigid, fragile waters of Alaska's Prince William Sound.
In Shift, Exxon Mobil to Report on Risks to Its Fossil Fuel Assets
Mar 21, 2014
- Energy companies have been under increasing pressure from shareholder activists in recent years to warn investors of the risks that stricter limits on carbon emissions would place on their business.
Exxon Mobil agrees to report on climate change's effect on business model
Mar 21, 2014
- The oil giant Exxon Mobil has agreed for the first time to report on how climate change could affect its business model, campaign groups say.
Lights, Camera … a Call for Action
Mar 05, 2014
- Sunday night I cheered as Steve McQueen dedicated his Best Picture Oscar for 12 Years a Slave to “all of the people who have endured slavery, and the 21 million people who still suffer slavery today.”
When global warming hurts business
Mar 04, 2014
- Some of the biggest West Coast businesses are pushing Congress and state government to act on climate change legislation. But it’s less about global warming and more about their bottom lines.
Morgan Stanley Joins Ceres Company Network
Feb 27, 2014
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Morgan Stanley, a leading global financial services firm, as the newest member of the Ceres company network.
How to Save Water on Fracking
Feb 24, 2014
- Among the environmental worries posed by hydraulic fracturing, including the release of methane into the air and contamination of groundwater, one has recently escalated: the concern that the enormous quantities of water used in fracking will leave parts of the country parched.
Leading Global Investors Gather at UN on Urgency for Boosting Clean Energy to Curb Climate Change
Jan 15, 2014
- Nearly 500 leading investors meeting today at the United Nations see major growth potential for ramping up green bonds and other clean energy investments to the levels necessary in order to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
UN climate chief calls for tripling of clean energy investment
Jan 14, 2014
- The United Nations climate chief has urged global financial institutions to triple their investments in clean energy to reach the $1 trillion a year mark that would help avert a climate catastrophe.
Wall Street Demands Answers From Fossil Fuel Producers on 'Unburnable' Carbon
Oct 25, 2013
- A well-heeled coalition of investors is asking top fossil fuel companies to calculate the risks of plowing billions into new oil, gas and coal projects.
Campbell’s Challenge: Growing Lots of Tomatoes in Water-Scarce California
Oct 24, 2013
- Last month, Ceres’ water team got some insights into how Campbell Soup is preparing for a likely drier future during a half-day visit to the 38-year-old processing plant and two nearby farms.
Investors ask fossil fuel companies to assess how business plans fare in low-carbon future
Oct 24, 2013
- A group of 70 global investors managing more than $3 trillion of collective assets launched the first-ever coordinated effort to spur 45 of the world’s top oil and gas, coal and electric power companies to assess the financial risks that climate change poses to their business plans.
Rethinking Big Water
Oct 22, 2013
- Las Vegas has long served as a stereotype of human excess: gambling, drinking, sex, all-you-can-eat buffets. But the latest chapter is playing out away from the Strip, in the part of the valley where two decades of booming development have swelled the population to 2 million residents who rely on a dwindling water supply.
Start Your Timers: We Have 30 Years Left To Fix Climate Change (But Who Cares?)
Sep 30, 2013
- The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest report has made it official: We're causing climate change and time is running out. If only people would read it and do something.
IPCC climate report sets upper limit for global emissions
Sep 27, 2013
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, just released its new report on global warming. It reinforces the conclusion that global warming is predominantly caused by human activity and sets an upper limit for the carbon emissions the world's economies can create.
Water Technology Firm Xylem Joins Ceres Company Network
Sep 12, 2013
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Xylem Inc., a major global water technology company, as the newest member of the Ceres company network.
Investors Achieve Strong Results on Climate Change, Supply Chains, Water Risks During 2013 Proxy Season
Aug 08, 2013
- Investors achieved noteworthy victories during this year’s shareholder proxy season, with a near record 110 shareholder resolutions filed with 94 U.S. companies on corporate sustainability challenges such as climate change, supply chain issues and water-related risks.
Exclusive: Bakken flaring burns more than $100 million a month
Jul 29, 2013
- Oil drillers in North Dakota's Bakken shale fields are allowing nearly a third of the natural gas they drill to burn off into the air, with a value of more than $100 million per month, according to a study to be released on Monday.
New Report: North Dakota Natural Gas Flaring More Than Doubles in Two Years
Jul 29, 2013
- The tremendous growth of unconventional oil production in North Dakota has also led to a rapid rise in the production of associated natural gas and natural gas liquids. A new Ceres report reveals that large and growing volumes of this gas are being burned off rather than sold, creating significant economic and environmental impacts.
110 Shareholder Resolutions Related to Climate Change and Fossil Fuel Use Yield Strong Results During 2013 Proxy Season
Jul 26, 2013
- Investors achieved noteworthy victories during this year’s shareholder proxy season, with a near record 110 shareholder resolutions filed with 94 U.S. companies on hydraulic fracturing, flaring, fossil fuel reserve risks and other climate – and sustainability – related risks and opportunities.