Company Related News
language here about news related to corporate sustainability
Leading Investors Press Meat Producers to Tackle Water Pollution Risks
Nov 21, 2016
- As Thanksgiving nears, 45 leading institutional investors collectively managing over $1 trillion in assets are pressing some of the nation’s largest producers of turkey and other meats to address the significant water pollution risks associated with feeding, slaughtering and processing livestock.
Ceres and the PRI Join Forces to Tackle Tropical Deforestation
Nov 11, 2016
- Through a new, joint investor group, the two organizations will support global institutional investors pressing food and timber companies to eliminate deforestation and other related concerns, including forced labor and land rights disputes from their supply chains.
NRG Energy Joins Ceres Company Network
Nov 10, 2016
- Ceres membership will bring to NRG a vast network of resources as the company continues to improve its social and environmental disclosure and performance and engages with investors and environmental and civil society groups.
Major Companies Are The Engines of Climate Progress
Nov 03, 2016
- As we approach the next round of climate talks in Morocco, one question looms large; having reached a milestone agreement in Paris, and having surpassed the thresholds necessary for that agreement to enter into force, will the business community respond with decisive on-the-ground action to realize a low-carbon future?
Iconic Businesses Call for Swift Action on Clean Power Plan in Pennsylvania
Oct 27, 2016
- Last week, major companies, including Philadelphia-based IKEA North America, the Adidas Group, Eileen Fisher, JLL, and Nestlé USA, sent letters to state lawmakers urging Pennsylvania to submit a timely strategy outlining how it will implement the Clean Power Plan.
Ohio businesses to lawmakers: Strengthen standards for renewable energy and efficiency
Oct 25, 2016
- Nine businesses that collectively employ more than 25,000 people in Ohio are urging state lawmakers to reinstate and strengthen Ohio’s standards on energy efficiency and renewables.
Major Food Companies to Tackle Water Risks In Their Global Supply Chains
Oct 24, 2016
- As climate change, population growth and water pollution increase pressure on freshwater resources, seven global food and beverage companies today announced commitments to work with thousands of growers in their global supply chains to reduce water use and pollution impacts.
New Data: Water Use in Hydraulic Fracturing a Key Risk in Water-Stressed Regions in Texas and Colorado
Oct 06, 2016
- New Ceres research, released today via an interactive map, shows that 57 percent of hydraulically fractured oil and gas wells over the past five years were in regions of high water competition, particularly in Texas and Colorado, creating significant long-term water sourcing risks for communities, companies operating in these regions, and their investors.
Ceres’ Mindy Lubber Statement On Paris Climate Agreement's Entry Into Force
Oct 05, 2016
- “The Paris Agreement’s entry into force is a crystal-clear market signal that the transition to a low-carbon global economy is underway and accelerating. I applaud the European Parliament and other governments that have formally joined the accord.
The Clean Power Plan: The Power Sector's Stepping Stone to the Future
Sep 26, 2016
- The electric power sector will be closely watching this week’s D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals hearing on the Clean Power Plan and eagerly awaiting the clarity that the court, and likely the U.S. Supreme Court, will provide.
Backing Clean Power Plan Will Accelerate The Clean Energy Future
Sep 22, 2016
- While legal experts are debating EPA’s Clean Power Plan in Washington next Tuesday, the U.S. business community is galloping ahead on the clean energy future.
Major investors caution against weakening MPG rules
Sep 22, 2016
- As the comment period closes on the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) Technical Assessment Report released by federal and state agencies, major investors are releasing statements in favor of strong fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards.
Ceres President Mindy Lubber Praises U.S. and China for Formally Joining the Paris Agreement on Climate Change
Sep 05, 2016
- “Today’s action sends a powerful signal to the markets that the shift to a low-carbon, clean energy economy is now accelerating. The rest of the world’s countries should take notice."
A 2020 roadmap for corporate sustainability
May 16, 2016
- Plotting a company’s future is never a static process. Circumstances shift. Technologies change. Trends accelerate. This is surely the case as global businesses grapple with sustainability pressures like climate change, water risks and human rights challenges. Just as the urgency and complexity of these threats are increasing, operating environments for businesses are also changing dramatically. That’s why we recently announced updated Ceres Roadmap expectations calling for accelerated action on key issues.
Ceres Conferees Sing New Tune on Oil, Climate
May 12, 2016
- The Ceres Conference, which brings together players from the corporate and environmental communities, has become an annual temperature-taking ritual for those concerned about how companies are responding to issues of climate change and sustainability.
Earth Day 2016: Paris Climate Agreement To Be Signed By Over 150 Countries At UN Ceremony In New York
Apr 25, 2016
- Leaders from more than 150 countries are set to gather in New York City on Friday to sign the landmark climate change deal struck in Paris last year. The event will be the latest in a series of steps to transform the global accord into an actual tool for combating greenhouse gas emissions and boosting the use of cleaner energy.
Corporations Move to Curb Global Warming
Apr 25, 2016
- The deal 195 nations finalized in December in Paris may be the most important climate agreement ever reached, but pockets of corporate leaders, financial regulators and money managers remember it for another reason: a shift in how the business community views global warming.
Ceres President Mindy Lubber Commends World Leaders for Signing Paris Agreement on Climate Change
Apr 22, 2016
- “Today will be marked not only as Earth Day, but the day that our world rebooted to set our climate back on track,” Ceres president Mindy Lubber said Friday at the historic signature ceremony of the Paris Agreement on climate change at the United Nations.
100+ Companies Salute the Signing of the Paris Agreement and Call For Swift Action On Clean Power Plan
Apr 20, 2016
- More than 100 companies, including leading global giants, expressed their support today for the Paris Agreement on climate change and called for swift action on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, a proposal aimed at significantly cutting carbon pollution in the United States.
CalPERS raises bar on corporate directors’ role in tackling climate change
Apr 06, 2016
- Last month, the country’s largest pension fund, the California Public Employees Retirement System, updated its Global Governance Principles, which drive its efforts on corporate engagements, proxy voting and investment decision making. The principles now state that board members of companies that CalPERS owns should have “expertise and experience in climate change risk management strategies.” This move is hugely important.