Company Related News
language here about news related to corporate sustainability
Earth Day 2016: Paris Climate Agreement To Be Signed By Over 150 Countries At UN Ceremony In New York
Apr 25, 2016
- Leaders from more than 150 countries are set to gather in New York City on Friday to sign the landmark climate change deal struck in Paris last year. The event will be the latest in a series of steps to transform the global accord into an actual tool for combating greenhouse gas emissions and boosting the use of cleaner energy.
Corporations Move to Curb Global Warming
Apr 25, 2016
- The deal 195 nations finalized in December in Paris may be the most important climate agreement ever reached, but pockets of corporate leaders, financial regulators and money managers remember it for another reason: a shift in how the business community views global warming.
Ceres President Mindy Lubber Commends World Leaders for Signing Paris Agreement on Climate Change
Apr 22, 2016
- “Today will be marked not only as Earth Day, but the day that our world rebooted to set our climate back on track,” Ceres president Mindy Lubber said Friday at the historic signature ceremony of the Paris Agreement on climate change at the United Nations.
100+ Companies Salute the Signing of the Paris Agreement and Call For Swift Action On Clean Power Plan
Apr 20, 2016
- More than 100 companies, including leading global giants, expressed their support today for the Paris Agreement on climate change and called for swift action on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, a proposal aimed at significantly cutting carbon pollution in the United States.
CalPERS raises bar on corporate directors’ role in tackling climate change
Apr 06, 2016
- Last month, the country’s largest pension fund, the California Public Employees Retirement System, updated its Global Governance Principles, which drive its efforts on corporate engagements, proxy voting and investment decision making. The principles now state that board members of companies that CalPERS owns should have “expertise and experience in climate change risk management strategies.” This move is hugely important.
Why Levi’s Is Giving Away Its Trade Secrets
Mar 23, 2016
- On World Water Day, blue-jean company Levi Strauss & Co. said it plans to reveal its strategies for reducing water use by 96 percent when making denim, so the tactics can be adopted by competitors across the industry.
White House Lauds Ceres' Sustainable Water Initiatives at World Water Day Summit
Mar 22, 2016
- Ceres’ Connect the Drops campaign in California and its climate-resilient water bonds initiative were both recognized at a White House ceremony commemorating World Water Day.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling temporarily staying EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Feb 10, 2016
- Ceres strongly disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision to stay the Clean Power Plan while litigation proceeds. Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan and they're backing their words with deeds.
Meet the Top 15 Female Climate Champions
Feb 05, 2016
- Women, particularly those in developing countries, are on the frontlines of a changing climate. Extreme weather events, deforestation and loss of biodiversity threaten their survival and that of their families. Learn the stories and successes of dynamic women who are at all levels of climate policy.
UN urges business leaders to double investment in green energy by 2020
Jan 27, 2016
- The United Nations urged global business leaders on Wednesday to double investment in wind and solar energy to $600bn a year by 2020. Business leaders were challenged to act decisively to hasten the transition away from the fossil fuel economy.
500 Global Investors Managing Trillions Mobilize Action in Wake of Paris Climate Agreement
Jan 27, 2016
- On the heels of the historic international climate agreement in Paris, more than 500 global investors gathered at the United Nations to begin mobilizing the trillions of dollars needed to catalyze the global clean energy transition.
Investors Have A Big Opportunity for Accelerating Clean Energy
Jan 25, 2016
- Those gathering at the UN in New York on Wednesday for the biennial Investor Summit on Climate Risk are facing a new world and a new reality. The Paris climate agreement has confirmed that every nation is now on an irreversible path to a low -- perhaps even zero -- carbon economy. The challenge now is not the certainty, the direction or the ultimate destination of this transformation: it is the speed and how to scale up the opportunities.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Clean Power Plan Court Decision
Jan 21, 2016
- "Today’s decision is a huge victory for the climate and a clear rejection of misguided arguments that shifting to clean technologies will cause irreparable harm,” said Mindy Lubber, president of the nonprofit group Ceres, which helped mobilize hundreds of companies and investors to support the Clean Power Plan. "Indeed, when the rule was released last summer, 365 companies and investors came out in favor of swift implementation, citing the economic benefits. The added certainty that today’s ruling provides for the CPP will help spur additional investment in the clean energy economy."
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on President Obama’s Final State of the Union Address
Jan 13, 2016
- In his final State of the Union, President Obama once again called for a transition to the clean energy economy needed to meet the climate goal agreed to by nearly every country around the globe last month in Paris.
Turning Paris climate agreement’s bold ambition into reality
Dec 30, 2015
- There’s been barely enough time for the ink to dry on the Paris climate deal — but we must begin charting a path forward if we’re going to meet COP21’s bold ambition in the years ahead. Around the world, policy makers, companies, and investors are demonstrating that they agree: There is no time to waste.
Here's How To Get Investors To Save The Planet
Dec 17, 2015
- World leaders should tax carbon emissions if they want institutional investors to commit their assets toward clean energy projects, according to a top environmental adviser to U.S. money managers.
The Paris Deal Could Mean The Redemption Of Big Business
Dec 14, 2015
- Business leaders helped usher in the climate deal. Now can they keep it -- and themselves -- on track?
Big Oil, Make Way for Big Solar. The Winners and Losers in Paris
Dec 14, 2015
- Saving the world isn’t going to be cheap. If you sell oil, coal or old-fashioned cars, that threatens disaster. For makers of stuff like solar panels, high-tech home insulation, and efficient lighting, it’s a potential miracle.
A Signal to Industry to Go Green in an Era of Carbon Reduction
Dec 14, 2015
- With the ink barely dry on a landmark climate accord, nations now face an even more daunting challenge: how to get their industries to go along.
Ceres and its Business Partners Applaud Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber joined a half-dozen top U.S. investors and business executives today in praising the final international climate change agreement announced tonight in Paris.