Climate & Energy Policy News
Read news stories and updates about BICEP and climate & energy policy.
Business Coalition Says Proposed EPA Truck Rules Too Easy
Apr 04, 2016
- A coalition of major food companies, retailers and other businesses want federal regulators to take a hard line on reducing truck emissions and increasing fuel economy.
Major brand companies across industries filing legal brief supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Apr 01, 2016
- Four global brand companies with significant energy footprints in nearly every state in the country are filing an amicus brief today in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit supporting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing carbon pollution from the nation’s electric sector.
Recycled water system to be put to test at development near Tracy
Mar 22, 2016
- The White House recently issued a government-wide directive to reduce the nation’s vulnerability to drought, which it said “poses a serious and growing threat to the security and economies of communities nationwide.” To that end, 150 businesses and nonprofits will pledge $4 billion in private capital to improve water resiliency.
White House Lauds Ceres' Sustainable Water Initiatives at World Water Day Summit
Mar 22, 2016
- Ceres’ Connect the Drops campaign in California and its climate-resilient water bonds initiative were both recognized at a White House ceremony commemorating World Water Day.
Ceres Commends U.S.-Canadian Agreement on Climate and Energy and the Arctic
Mar 10, 2016
- Investors and companies are concerned that methane emissions pose a serious threat to climate stability, accelerating the rate of warming in the near term and threatening infrastructure and economic harm. Curbing this air pollution from existing sources as well as new facilities will help confront climate change while also promoting economic growth and regulatory clarity.
Supreme Court thumbs its nose at a clean energy future
Feb 12, 2016
- The Supreme Court's stay of President Obama’s Clean Power Plan is not the final blow to the Obama administration’s climate change policy, but it seems directly aimed at tarnishing the president’s environmental legacy. The ruling virtually guarantees that, even if the plan survives court challenges, it will be up to the next president to implement it — or ignore it.
Statements from Companies and Investors in Support of EPA’s Clean Power Plan in Wake of Supreme Court Ruling
Feb 11, 2016
- Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan. Hear what some of these leaders have to say.
What does the green economy need from the Financial Stability Board climate task force?
Feb 11, 2016
- Experts offer new task force seven ideas on how best to increase corporate transparency on climate-related risks.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling temporarily staying EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Feb 10, 2016
- Ceres strongly disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision to stay the Clean Power Plan while litigation proceeds. Over 365 businesses and investors support the Clean Power Plan and they're backing their words with deeds.
Meet the Top 15 Female Climate Champions
Feb 05, 2016
- Women, particularly those in developing countries, are on the frontlines of a changing climate. Extreme weather events, deforestation and loss of biodiversity threaten their survival and that of their families. Learn the stories and successes of dynamic women who are at all levels of climate policy.
UN urges business leaders to double investment in green energy by 2020
Jan 27, 2016
- The United Nations urged global business leaders on Wednesday to double investment in wind and solar energy to $600bn a year by 2020. Business leaders were challenged to act decisively to hasten the transition away from the fossil fuel economy.
500 Global Investors Managing Trillions Mobilize Action in Wake of Paris Climate Agreement
Jan 27, 2016
- On the heels of the historic international climate agreement in Paris, more than 500 global investors gathered at the United Nations to begin mobilizing the trillions of dollars needed to catalyze the global clean energy transition.
Investors Have A Big Opportunity for Accelerating Clean Energy
Jan 25, 2016
- Those gathering at the UN in New York on Wednesday for the biennial Investor Summit on Climate Risk are facing a new world and a new reality. The Paris climate agreement has confirmed that every nation is now on an irreversible path to a low -- perhaps even zero -- carbon economy. The challenge now is not the certainty, the direction or the ultimate destination of this transformation: it is the speed and how to scale up the opportunities.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Clean Power Plan Court Decision
Jan 21, 2016
- "Today’s decision is a huge victory for the climate and a clear rejection of misguided arguments that shifting to clean technologies will cause irreparable harm,” said Mindy Lubber, president of the nonprofit group Ceres, which helped mobilize hundreds of companies and investors to support the Clean Power Plan. "Indeed, when the rule was released last summer, 365 companies and investors came out in favor of swift implementation, citing the economic benefits. The added certainty that today’s ruling provides for the CPP will help spur additional investment in the clean energy economy."
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on President Obama’s Final State of the Union Address
Jan 13, 2016
- In his final State of the Union, President Obama once again called for a transition to the clean energy economy needed to meet the climate goal agreed to by nearly every country around the globe last month in Paris.
Turning Paris climate agreement’s bold ambition into reality
Dec 30, 2015
- There’s been barely enough time for the ink to dry on the Paris climate deal — but we must begin charting a path forward if we’re going to meet COP21’s bold ambition in the years ahead. Around the world, policy makers, companies, and investors are demonstrating that they agree: There is no time to waste.
Here's How To Get Investors To Save The Planet
Dec 17, 2015
- World leaders should tax carbon emissions if they want institutional investors to commit their assets toward clean energy projects, according to a top environmental adviser to U.S. money managers.
The Paris Deal Could Mean The Redemption Of Big Business
Dec 14, 2015
- Business leaders helped usher in the climate deal. Now can they keep it -- and themselves -- on track?
Big Oil, Make Way for Big Solar. The Winners and Losers in Paris
Dec 14, 2015
- Saving the world isn’t going to be cheap. If you sell oil, coal or old-fashioned cars, that threatens disaster. For makers of stuff like solar panels, high-tech home insulation, and efficient lighting, it’s a potential miracle.
A Signal to Industry to Go Green in an Era of Carbon Reduction
Dec 14, 2015
- With the ink barely dry on a landmark climate accord, nations now face an even more daunting challenge: how to get their industries to go along.