Climate & Energy Policy News
Read news stories and updates about BICEP and climate & energy policy.
Investors Have A Big Opportunity for Accelerating Clean Energy
Jan 25, 2016
- Those gathering at the UN in New York on Wednesday for the biennial Investor Summit on Climate Risk are facing a new world and a new reality. The Paris climate agreement has confirmed that every nation is now on an irreversible path to a low -- perhaps even zero -- carbon economy. The challenge now is not the certainty, the direction or the ultimate destination of this transformation: it is the speed and how to scale up the opportunities.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Clean Power Plan Court Decision
Jan 21, 2016
- "Today’s decision is a huge victory for the climate and a clear rejection of misguided arguments that shifting to clean technologies will cause irreparable harm,” said Mindy Lubber, president of the nonprofit group Ceres, which helped mobilize hundreds of companies and investors to support the Clean Power Plan. "Indeed, when the rule was released last summer, 365 companies and investors came out in favor of swift implementation, citing the economic benefits. The added certainty that today’s ruling provides for the CPP will help spur additional investment in the clean energy economy."
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber on President Obama’s Final State of the Union Address
Jan 13, 2016
- In his final State of the Union, President Obama once again called for a transition to the clean energy economy needed to meet the climate goal agreed to by nearly every country around the globe last month in Paris.
Turning Paris climate agreement’s bold ambition into reality
Dec 30, 2015
- There’s been barely enough time for the ink to dry on the Paris climate deal — but we must begin charting a path forward if we’re going to meet COP21’s bold ambition in the years ahead. Around the world, policy makers, companies, and investors are demonstrating that they agree: There is no time to waste.
Here's How To Get Investors To Save The Planet
Dec 17, 2015
- World leaders should tax carbon emissions if they want institutional investors to commit their assets toward clean energy projects, according to a top environmental adviser to U.S. money managers.
The Paris Deal Could Mean The Redemption Of Big Business
Dec 14, 2015
- Business leaders helped usher in the climate deal. Now can they keep it -- and themselves -- on track?
Big Oil, Make Way for Big Solar. The Winners and Losers in Paris
Dec 14, 2015
- Saving the world isn’t going to be cheap. If you sell oil, coal or old-fashioned cars, that threatens disaster. For makers of stuff like solar panels, high-tech home insulation, and efficient lighting, it’s a potential miracle.
A Signal to Industry to Go Green in an Era of Carbon Reduction
Dec 14, 2015
- With the ink barely dry on a landmark climate accord, nations now face an even more daunting challenge: how to get their industries to go along.
Five New Companies Join Ceres’ Connect the Drops Water Campaign in California
Dec 14, 2015
- Ceres announces today at a Skytop Symposium on Water and Long-Term Value, at Levi Strauss & Co. headquarters, that Clif Bar, Genentech, Fetzer Vineyards, Qualcomm Incorporated and VMware have joined its Connect the Drops Campaign to support resilient water solutions at a time of unprecedented drought in California.
Ceres and its Business Partners Applaud Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber joined a half-dozen top U.S. investors and business executives today in praising the final international climate change agreement announced tonight in Paris.
Ceres President Applauds Historic International Climate Agreement in Paris
Dec 12, 2015
- Ceres president Mindy Lubber issued a statement heralding the final international climate agreement announced in Paris.
In Paris, polluters in focus as investors avoid climate risk
Dec 07, 2015
- So far, the most visible investor impact of climate change is divestment. But a bigger, quieter shift has started, to low carbon, and “climate aware” polluters.
COP21: Strong Climate Policy Leads to Lower Business Costs, CEOs Say
Dec 04, 2015
- Two new draft texts for a climate deal were released today at COP21, with additional drafts expected to follow as governments negotiate a global climate deal in Paris. Business leaders, meanwhile, continue to step up their efforts to influence climate policy.
Carney Backs Effort for Standard Company Climate Disclosure
Dec 04, 2015
- Bank of England Governor Mark Carney backed a global effort to bring greater transparency to the way companies disclose the risks they face from climate change, wading into a debate that has ensnared some of the biggest fossil-fuel producers.
Apparel company CEOs call for strong climate deal
Dec 03, 2015
- Citing droughts, temperature shifts and other impacts that will make apparel production “more difficult and costly,” the CEOs of seven top global apparel companies today issued a statement calling on government leaders to reach a strong climate change agreement here that will stop the growth of greenhouse gas pollution that is causing damaging global warming.
As Big Food Feels Threat Of Climate Change, Companies Speak Up
Dec 01, 2015
- Chances are, you've picked up some chatter about the new global talks on climate change. If you can't quite see how it matters to you, personally, you might want to take a peek inside your pantry. Or your candy jar. Because it might just affect your access to everything from cheese to chocolate.
A who's who among the COP21 commitments
Nov 30, 2015
- So, you support a strong global agreement at the U.N. Conference of the Parties? You want business, NGOs, policymakers and every stakeholder you forgot to mention to unite for once and for all to save the world. Of course you do. Put your name in lights in the City of Lights for what some see as an ultimate peace conference.
Business & financial sectors converge at COP21
Nov 25, 2015
- Dozens of major companies and investors from across the United States will be joining the nonprofit sustainability group Ceres at the upcoming climate negotiations in Paris in support of a strong global climate deal that will accelerate the shift to a low-carbon, clean energy economy.
The CEOs of Coca-Cola, The Hain Celestial Group, Inc., Hershey’s and PepsiCo Join Food & Beverage Call for Climate Action
Nov 24, 2015
- With key international climate negotiations one week away, the chief executive officers of Coca-Cola, The Hain Celestial Group Inc., Hershey’s and PepsiCo announce today that they’ve joined with ten of their peers in signing a joint letter to U.S. and world leaders urging governments to forge a robust international climate agreement in Paris.
Paris climate summit: why more women need seats at the table
Nov 20, 2015
- Women, particularly those in developing countries, are on the frontlines of a changing climate. Extreme weather events, deforestation and loss of biodiversity threaten their survival and that of their families. Yet, when confronted with social and economic exclusion, women’s vulnerabilities remain hidden and their voices quiet.