Climate & Energy Policy News
Read news stories and updates about BICEP and climate & energy policy.
Have supply chains changed since the Rana Plaza calamity?
Apr 25, 2014
- One year after the collapse of the Rana Plaza apparel factory in Bangladesh killed more than 1,000 people, it is clear that things aren't changing quickly enough for workers in global supply chains.
Business lobbying on climate change is 'a murmur and not a message'
Apr 11, 2014
- A coalition including IKEA, Mars and eBay is lobbying US government for regulation to curb climate change. But for Washington to listen, businesses must make it a core issue
Business Support for Policy Action on Climate Change Grows 20-Fold as the “Climate Declaration” Hits First Anniversary
Apr 10, 2014
- On the heels of a new UN report detailing damaging and accelerating impacts of climate change, top business executives from IKEA, JLL, Mars Inc., Sprint and VF Corp. met today with members of the Congressional Bicameral Task Force on Climate Change to discuss climate-related impacts on their companies.
Building a Sustainable Global Economy
Apr 04, 2014
- Ceres’ launch was inspired by the horrific Exxon Valdez oil spill. At that time the very idea of corporations having an ethic to measure and improve social and environmental performance beyond legal requirements was considered implausible. Today the landscape is remarkably different.
Statement by Ceres President Mindy Lubber on Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report
Mar 31, 2014
- Today's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report pulls no punches in concluding that our world is on a dangerous path and urgent action is needed now to reverse the pollution that is causing it.
Even oil companies don't want a 'roasted world'
Mar 25, 2014
- When climate scientist Rosina Bierbaum speaks, her central theme is the "roasted world" -- a bleak picture of what the planet will probably look like if carbon pollution continues unchecked.
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Still Leaves a Painful Legacy
Mar 24, 2014
- Exactly 25 years ago, 260,000 barrels of crude oil from the Exxon Valdez oil tanker inundated the frigid, fragile waters of Alaska's Prince William Sound.
In Shift, Exxon Mobil to Report on Risks to Its Fossil Fuel Assets
Mar 21, 2014
- Energy companies have been under increasing pressure from shareholder activists in recent years to warn investors of the risks that stricter limits on carbon emissions would place on their business.
Exxon Mobil agrees to report on climate change's effect on business model
Mar 21, 2014
- The oil giant Exxon Mobil has agreed for the first time to report on how climate change could affect its business model, campaign groups say.
Aveda, Pioneer of Natural Beauty Products Becomes 30th Company to Join BICEP Coalition
Mar 13, 2014
- BICEP (Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy) announced today that Aveda, the Minnesota-based manufacturer and distributor of botanically-based personal care products, has joined the coalition.
When global warming hurts business
Mar 04, 2014
- Some of the biggest West Coast businesses are pushing Congress and state government to act on climate change legislation. But it’s less about global warming and more about their bottom lines.
Apple, San Diego International Airport, SolarCity and Sapphire Energy Join Call for U.S. Action on Climate Change
Feb 25, 2014
- As California battles the worst drought in centuries, more than a dozen major businesses joined with more than 120 California-based companies in signing the Climate Declaration.
Leading Global Investors Gather at UN on Urgency for Boosting Clean Energy to Curb Climate Change
Jan 15, 2014
- Nearly 500 leading investors meeting today at the United Nations see major growth potential for ramping up green bonds and other clean energy investments to the levels necessary in order to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
UN climate chief calls for tripling of clean energy investment
Jan 14, 2014
- The United Nations climate chief has urged global financial institutions to triple their investments in clean energy to reach the $1 trillion a year mark that would help avert a climate catastrophe.
Ski Season Renews Calls for Federal Government to ‘Combat Climate Change’
Dec 10, 2013
- With the ski season underway in the United States, a petition that was announced in May asking lawmakers to address “climate change” is again in the spotlight as climate change advocates launched a video campaign on social media last week.
Ceres Touts Economic Opportunity of Carbon Standards for Existing Power Plants at Boston EPA Listening Session
Nov 04, 2013
- During a listening session hosted today by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Ceres staff members testified to the economic opportunity provided by addressing climate change and spoke out in support of the EPA’s proposed rules for existing power plants.
Companies Push White House to Follow Through on Climate Action Plan
Oct 29, 2013
- One year after Superstorm Sandy devastated the East Coast, major U. S. companies including Starbucks, Unilever and Mars, Inc. have called on President Obama and the White House to follow through on climate change preparedness efforts outlined in the Climate Action Plan announced by the President on June 25th.
The Climate Declaration Hits Broadway…
Oct 25, 2013
- Starting this week, the Climate Declaration’s message that “tackling climate change is America’s greatest economic opportunity of the 21st century” will be showcased on the CBS Jumbotron on 42nd street in New York City’s Times Square for the next three months.
Investors ask fossil fuel companies to assess how business plans fare in low-carbon future
Oct 24, 2013
- A group of 70 global investors managing more than $3 trillion of collective assets launched the first-ever coordinated effort to spur 45 of the world’s top oil and gas, coal and electric power companies to assess the financial risks that climate change poses to their business plans.
Start Your Timers: We Have 30 Years Left To Fix Climate Change (But Who Cares?)
Sep 30, 2013
- The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest report has made it official: We're causing climate change and time is running out. If only people would read it and do something.