Climate & Energy Policy News
Read news stories and updates about BICEP and climate & energy policy.
Not business as usual: 200 firms back EPA climate regs
Dec 03, 2014
- More than 200 U.S. companies came together to support a major reduction in carbon pollution from power plants proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Nike, IKEA join 221 companies in backing EPA’s climate rule
Dec 03, 2014
- Major sportswear retailer Nike and furniture giant IKEA are backing the administration’s landmark climate rule on carbon pollution from existing power plants.
Nestlé, JLL, Novelis Inc., and Levi Strauss & Co Join 223 Companies in Supporting EPA’s Clean Power Plan
Dec 02, 2014
- Marking the end of the comment period on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan, 223 companies today announced their support for EPA’s proposed carbon standard for electric power plants, including industry giants such as IKEA, Mars Inc., VF Corporation, and Nestlé.
NRG Seeks to Cut 90% of Its Carbon Emissions
Nov 20, 2014
- NRG, which built a leading electricity business from coal and other conventional power plants, is aiming to reduce its carbon emissions 50 percent by 2030 and 90 percent by 2050.
Statement from Ceres president Mindy Lubber on US-China Climate Agreement
Nov 12, 2014
- The agreement by the world's two largest economies and carbon emitters is a game changer on every level. These joint carbon pollution and clean energy commitments will help catalyze clean energy investments globally.
Fossil Fuel Companies Must Evolve for Warming Planet
Nov 11, 2014
- We talk a lot in this country about what it takes to enact change -- from politics to finance and education systems. Time and again, we've seen that regular people have the power to drive reform, and that there is strength in numbers.
Election Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber
Nov 05, 2014
- The election may have changed the political dynamics in Washington, but it doesn't change the science. The reality of global warming and the need for urgent action remain an imperative, a point made clear by this week’s alarming IPCC report. Business leaders understand this truth.
Statement from Ceres President Mindy Lubber regarding yesterday's release of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Synthesis Report in Copenhagen
Nov 03, 2014
- The IPCC report is alarming and should be a wake-up call to government leaders. It conclusively demonstrates that we need to act now on climate change and that failing to do so will be enormously costly for the environment and the global economy.
Over 100 Washington Businesses Call for State Action on Climate Change
Oct 27, 2014
- Over 100 businesses, including Virginia Mason, Microsoft, REI, and Saltchuk launched an open declaration calling for action on climate change. The Washington Business Climate Declaration highlights the support of state business leaders for action on climate change that would preserve and expand our state’s vibrant economy.
A Retreat From Weather Disasters
Oct 24, 2014
- Today, from Florida to Delaware, property insurance near the water is becoming harder and harder to find.
First-of-its-Kind Report Ranks U.S. Insurance Companies on Climate Change Responses
Oct 22, 2014
- Amid growing evidence that climate change is having wide-ranging global impacts that will worsen in the years ahead, a new report from Ceres ranks the nation's 330 largest insurance companies on what they are saying and doing to respond to escalating climate risks.
Corn Belt Pollution: Louisiana Shrimp And Oysters Pay The Price
Oct 21, 2014
- Coastal Louisiana faces a complex web of environmental challenges from land loss, to declining fisheries, water quality problems and climate change.
Oregon Technology Companies Commit their Support for State Climate Change Policy
Sep 23, 2014
- Oregon’s technology companies, including Intel and Elemental Technologies, have joined the growing list of businesses that have signed onto the Oregon Business Climate Declaration, highlighting opportunities to spur local economic development and job creation while curbing carbon pollution.
Climate Activists Look For Solutions From Business, Diplomats
Sep 23, 2014
- Business and corporate leaders are starting to take climate risk seriously enough to put money on the table to do something about it.
Tackling The Oil Industry On Climate Change
Sep 23, 2014
- ‘Protect our climate’ was the rallying cry heard across New York City yesterday, but the underlying message really was ‘stop using fossil fuels.’
Kellogg Company Joins BICEP Coalition
Sep 19, 2014
- Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy (BICEP) announced today that the American icon and inventor of Corn Flakes, Kellogg Company, has joined the BICEP coalition to advocate for innovative climate and clean energy policies.
Only $1 Trillion: Annual Investment Goal Puts Climate Solutions Within Reach
Sep 15, 2014
- A two-year-old number is changing the way governments, companies and investors approach the fight against climate change: $1 trillion.
In Anticipating EPA Plan, States Can Follow Examples of Neighbors
Aug 13, 2014
- While debate rages on about the Environmental Protection Agency’s proposed Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas pollution from existing U.S. power plants, it’s important to take a look at what is already working around the country from the standpoint of clean energy deployment.
Growing A Solution To California’s Groundwater Crisis
Aug 06, 2014
- Three years before the California drought became a national crisis, national berry giant Driscoll's, on the state’s Central Coast, knew it had a major problem with water.
General Mills Joins BICEP Coalition
Jul 28, 2014
- BICEP (Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy) announced today that one of the world’s largest and most storied food companies, General Mills, has joined the BICEP coalition to advocate for innovative climate and clean energy policies.