Ceres In The News
Listing of news clips featuring Ceres and our work.
The Largest Risk (and Opportunity) Investors Are Ignoring
Feb 13, 2014
- Tackling climate change -- and thus keeping the world inhabitable -- is an achievable goal, but it will become prohibitively expensive if we wait to act.
Investor group demands fossil fuel companies disclose carbon asset risk
Feb 12, 2014
- A group of investors with combined assets of over $200 billion filed shareholder resolutions on Wednesday with ten energy companies, including Exxon Mobil and Southern Co, demanding they disclose their strategies for competing in a lower-carbon future.
Report: Fracking raising water supply worries
Feb 06, 2014
- The USA's domestic energy boom is increasing demands on water supplies already under pressure from drought and growing populations, a new report says.
Report: Water Availability a Risk for Oil, Gas Drillers
Feb 05, 2014
- A new national report on hydraulic fracturing and water use suggests that oil and gas companies are at risk of running short on the precious resource — especially in South Texas, where the drilling boom took off just two years ago as a severe drought was taking hold and has not let up.
Investors see green in clean energy
Jan 27, 2014
- It was not the usual roundup of environmental activists saying the sky is falling. Instead, it was the biggest bankers and insurance companies calling for massive investments in clean energy lest we — and they — pay in massive damages from climate change.
Renewable Energy at $254 Billion? Let’s Make It a Clean Trillion
Jan 16, 2014
- Billionaire bankers gathered at the United Nations yesterday to call for more investment in renewable energy -- $1 trillion a year, to be exact.
How Wall Street Can Solve the Climate Crisis
Jan 16, 2014
- One of the hard truths about climate change solutions—whether they're solar panels, protective seawalls, or carbon-sucking golf balls—is that somebody has to pay for them.
Clean Energy Support Falls Again to $254 Billion in 2013
Jan 15, 2014
- The decline in investment in renewable energy accelerated in 2013 as the cost of solar panels and wind farms fell, unsettling investor confidence in alternatives to fossil fuels.
Wanted: major investors to spend 'clean trillion' on climate
Jan 15, 2014
- Major institutional investors will need to ratchet up their investment in clean energy to achieve the massive funding goals necessary to avert catastrophic climate change, according to a report released on Wednesday by Ceres.
UN climate chief calls for tripling of clean energy investment
Jan 14, 2014
- The United Nations climate chief has urged global financial institutions to triple their investments in clean energy to reach the $1 trillion a year mark that would help avert a climate catastrophe.
The Carbon Time Bomb in Your Retirement Account
Dec 10, 2013
- Will climate change leave your investment portfolio stranded like a polar bear on melting ice floe? If your pension fund or 401(k) manager invests in fossil-fuel companies, it just might.
Ski Season Renews Calls for Federal Government to ‘Combat Climate Change’
Dec 10, 2013
- With the ski season underway in the United States, a petition that was announced in May asking lawmakers to address “climate change” is again in the spotlight as climate change advocates launched a video campaign on social media last week.
Investors demand oil, coal and power companies assess climate change risks
Nov 20, 2013
- Regulatory, market and societal forces are changing the global landscape. Fossil fuel companies cannot expect business as usual for much longer
Oil's Future Draws Blood and Gore in Investment Portfolios
Nov 19, 2013
- Oil and coal companies worth more than $7 trillion may be sinking billions of dollars today into projects that will never make sense to finish.
New Obama order aims to prepare communities for severe weather
Nov 01, 2013
- In another move to address the impact of climate change, President Barack Obama ordered a bipartisan task force on Friday to help U.S. communities brace for longer heat waves, heavier downpours, more severe wildfires and worse droughts.
Oil firms asked to account for climate change risk
Oct 31, 2013
- A group of global institutional investors have asked the world’s oil companies to determine how much risk they face from potential policies to reduce carbon emissions.
Wall Street Demands Answers From Fossil Fuel Producers on 'Unburnable' Carbon
Oct 25, 2013
- A well-heeled coalition of investors is asking top fossil fuel companies to calculate the risks of plowing billions into new oil, gas and coal projects.
Rethinking Big Water
Oct 22, 2013
- Las Vegas has long served as a stereotype of human excess: gambling, drinking, sex, all-you-can-eat buffets. But the latest chapter is playing out away from the Strip, in the part of the valley where two decades of booming development have swelled the population to 2 million residents who rely on a dwindling water supply.
Start Your Timers: We Have 30 Years Left To Fix Climate Change (But Who Cares?)
Sep 30, 2013
- The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest report has made it official: We're causing climate change and time is running out. If only people would read it and do something.
IPCC climate report sets upper limit for global emissions
Sep 27, 2013
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, just released its new report on global warming. It reinforces the conclusion that global warming is predominantly caused by human activity and sets an upper limit for the carbon emissions the world's economies can create.