Ceres In The News
Listing of news clips featuring Ceres and our work.
Global Warming Ascends Agenda of Socially Responsible Investors
Sep 11, 2012
- Among public pension funds in the U.S., the large California plans have long been the most public and progressive when it comes to considering the impact of environment, social matters and corporate governance, on their investment portfolio. Increasingly they are not alone.
Colorado Springs Gazette: The least costly, most efficient solution for the Springs
Sep 05, 2012
- Saving electricity is the lowest cost, cleanest and least risky resource available to utilities. Increasing energy efficiency provides important co-benefits including local job creation, water savings, and reduced air pollution.
Romney Needs to Make a U-Turn on Fuel Standards
Aug 29, 2012
- The Obama administration's fuel-economy standards, finalized today, highlight the stark choice voters face this November about the path of U.S. energy policy.
The New York Times: Will Emissions Disclosure Mean Investor Pressure on Polluters?
Aug 27, 2012
- New reports and financial tools are encouraging greater disclosure from companies while, hopefully, also pushing investors to build more responsible portfolios.
Ethical Corporation: New rigorous ratings tools help investors and companies
Aug 17, 2012
- The Global Initiative for Sustainability Ratings offers an opportunity for credible corporate performance assessment.
The Houston Chronicle: Expiration of tax credit threatens wind industry
Aug 14, 2012
- For years, the federal government has supported innovation in the energy sector, funding everything from advanced drilling techniques to more efficient turbine design.
Houston Chronicle: In the dark in assessing financial risk of offshore disasters
Aug 06, 2012
- Ceres analyzed safety and environmental risk disclosures in the regulatory filings of 10 big energy companies, including BP, Chevron and Exxon Mobil and found that seven provided no information on the development of safety programs. The other three offered only broad statements about safety but no data or details.
Forbes: Coal-Fired Carbon Emissions Fall As Transition To Cleaner Energy Accelerates
Aug 01, 2012
- Thanks to cheap natural gas and a boom in renewable energy, the U.S. is accelerating a shift away from coal-fired power plants, resulting in falling emissions of carbon dioxide and other harmful pollutants.
Investors keep climate- change strategies despite uncertainty
Jul 25, 2012
- A majority of investors have retained and boosted their climate change investment strategies despite economic and political uncertainties, according to a new report.
GreenBiz: NASDAQ to promote sustainability disclosure
Jul 18, 2012
- One accomplishment reached at Rio+20 was an agreement by five members of the Sustainable Stock Exchanges initiative to promote reporting on environmental, social, and corporate governance risks and opportunities by listed companies.
Environmental Finance: Shareholders make Apple, Colgate, Dell act on sustainability
Jul 11, 2012
- Shareholder resolutions have spurred companies to made commitments to tackle environmental and social risks in their operations and supply chains in 44 out of 108 cases tracked by Ceres in 2012.
The Bakersfield Californian: Ask reinsurers about climate change
Jul 09, 2012
- It's hard to pin a single event -- like the heat wave that's gripped the Mid-Atlantic for the past week -- on climate change. But some of the predicted impacts of global warming made by climate scientists over the past decade can no longer be ignored
Fox News: Rising Sea Levels Pose Threat to East Coast
Jun 26, 2012
- FOX 25's Mark Ockerbloom talks with Mindy Lubber, the President of Ceres, about the rising sea levels and the possible threats the elevated waters pose to the East Coast.
Bloomberg: Bacteria Work Shows Profit in Openness
Jun 19, 2012
- Companies from beverage maker PepsiCo Inc. to sporting goods maker Puma SE are finding that lowering their impact on the environment can also boost earnings. Their efforts mean lower fuel and water use and savings on waste disposal.
The Guardian: Rio+20 - the Earth Summit diaries
Jun 19, 2012
- From Rio de Janeiro, Jo Confino provides behind the scenes insight of all that's going on from a business perspective at the Earth Summit.
Washington Post: Rio Earth summit nears as scientists warn planet faces grave threats
Jun 07, 2012
- As thousands of people prepare to convene in Brazil this month for the Rio+20 Earth Summit, scientists and environmentalists alike are sending a sharp message: The planet is in dire straits.
The Baltimore Sun: Storm warnings
Jun 06, 2012
- People can't make informed investment decisions unless corporations clearly disclose their financial risks from climate change. Increasingly violent weather worldwide is putting investments at risk, and people can't make informed decisions without knowing the consequences to individual companies. The problem is spelled out in a report, "Physical Risks From Climate Change" by Calvert Investments, Oxfam America and Ceres.
Pensions & Investments: Report calls for more climate impact disclosure
Jun 01, 2012
- Investors need to get more information on how the companies in which they invest are facing and managing risks posed by climate change, according to a report released Thursday by Calvert Investments, Ceres and Oxfam America.
E&E Energy Wire: Investors urged to take cautious approach to development
May 31, 2012
- Business investor coalition Ceres issued a report today siding with the Obama administration's cautious plan for developing oil shale reserves on federal land, outlining five key risks that could undermine commercial-scale oil shale development.
Consumers should reward supply-chain heroes
May 25, 2012
- The cult of consumer awareness needs to run deeper than what sounds good or looks good. Supply-chain heroes need to be honored. Holding them out might just change perceptions of what makes a good company and what makes one bad.