Blogs By Ceres
A listing of blogs authored by Ceres
In Good Company
Oct 02, 2012
- Freedom House—an independent watchdog organization dedicated to expanding freedom around the world—recently held its annual awards event to honor exceptional individuals and organizations that are supporting and accelerating the cause of freedom and democracy.
Dock your boat at Fenway?
Sep 27, 2012
- Policymakers and insurers must act now to prepare for rising sea levels caused by climate change.
Wild Weather A New Normal And Insurance Companies Must Act
Aug 30, 2012
- The U.S. insurance industry continues to be “surprised” by extreme weather losses. But the truth is that weather extremes are no longer surprising.
Forbes: Auto Industry And U.S. Economy Will Benefit Under New Mileage Standards
Aug 23, 2012
- Automakers and suppliers recognize that better fuel economy equals better sales, better profits and more jobs.
Think Progress: As Coal Sinks, Renewables Soar: Emissions Report Shows Start Of Clean Energy Transition
Aug 09, 2012
- For the electric power industry, the signs of change are in the air. Power plants are emitting less pollution than in prior years, and renewable power is a bigger part of the energy mix than ever before.
Hydro Logic: A Crucial Tool to Help Companies Address Water Risk
Aug 06, 2012
- Water bills make up a tiny fraction of operating costs even for companies that use vast amounts of the stuff, and ample supplies have traditionally been taken for granted. But, in many areas of the United States and around the world, fresh water is becoming increasingly scarce, polluted and contested.
The Frozen Frontier: Is Shell Ready For The Risks Of Arctic Drilling?
Aug 06, 2012
- In the wake of the Deepwater Horizon disaster, several reports have found that many oil and gas companies—not just BP—were poorly managing the risks of offshore drilling. Shell is moving forward with at least two Arctic wells this year, at a time when confidence in the oil and gas industry’s risk management practices is remarkably low.
Responsible Investor: Why business-as-usual won’t work for deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico
Aug 02, 2012
- The oil industry hasn’t responded with sufficient reforms or adequate disclosure to prevent another Macondo. Ten of the world’s largest oil and gas companies failed to adequately disclose the risks in their deepwater drilling activities in filings submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Corporate Responsibility Magazine: The 800-Pound Gorilla
Jul 19, 2012
- Many companies don’t fully disclose a key material risk hovering over their future performance: climate change. Without robust corporate disclosure, investment managers can’t truly know how risky their investments are.
Cars of Change: For Automakers, Higher MPG = Higher Profits
Jul 11, 2012
- Automakers, and especially Detroit’s Big Three, will see greater sales and profits from stronger federal fuel economy standards. That’s what a recent report by Citi Investment Research in collaboration with Ceres found.
The Guardian: Water issues create strong undercurrent at Rio+20
Jul 05, 2012
- Studies suggest that the world may be facing a global water shortfall of 40% by 2030 and this is something that governments and industry must face together.
Pensions & Investments: The blindness of short-term thinking 'Quarterly capitalism' desperately needs tempering with long-term guidance
Jun 25, 2012
- Quarterly capitalism — a system that drives far too many CEOs, directors, investors and analysts to focus on short-term performance and return on investment — is on a collision course with reality.
Forbes: A Tipping Point on Sustainability Disclosure in Rio?
Jun 19, 2012
- As thousands of diplomats, world leaders, corporations, institutional investors, NGOs and social and environmental activists gather in Rio for the U.N. Conference on Sustainable Development, corporate sustainability disclosure has risen to the top of the global agenda.
Huffington Post: Extreme Weather Is the New Reality
Jun 05, 2012
- In 2011, extreme weather caused more than $148 billion in economic losses, and $55 billion in insured losses globally. Ceres, Oxfam America and Calvert Investments released a new guide to prepare businesses and investors for facing and disclosing climate-related risks.
Forbes: Raising the Bar on Supply Chains
May 17, 2012
- Companies must shift from mere “supply chain management” to corporate supply chain improvements. But the data show there is still a long way to go.
The Guardian: Corporate sustainability activism is picking up pace in the US
May 10, 2012
- Major US companies are taking the lead on sustainability as policy makers in Washington fail to act on green issues.
Forbes: How US Utilities Can Avoid a Risky $2 Trillion Bet
May 08, 2012
- There are times when business as usual becomes a risk in itself. America’s electric utilities are approaching just such a moment. A new report from Ceres analyzes the impacts investment decisions will have on utilizes and their stakeholders.
Forbes: "Last Call at the Oasis" is loud wakeup call on global water crisis
May 04, 2012
- The new documentary “Last Call at the Oasis” does far more than recount the alarming woes of our country’s most water-stressed regions; it’s a beautifully produced, detailed picture of an immense global crisis bearing down on us as we speak – and thankfully a roadmap of sorts to what we can do about it.
The Guardian: A new Ceres report finds business progress on sustainability disappointing
Apr 25, 2012
- As the world population soars beyond seven billion, human beings are putting unprecedented demands on natural resources and generating ever-higher levels of greenhouse gases. Can our global economy, and the environment on which it depends, survive these stresses?
Forbes: Business Sustainability at Rio +20 - What are we waiting for?
Apr 20, 2012
- Part of Rio+20 will be the Corporate Sustainability Forum, a global effort to engage the private sector on building a sustainable economy for a sustainable planet. This aligns perfectly with Ceres’ mission – and Ceres will be in Rio pushing for accelerated action and results.