Blogs By Ceres
A listing of blogs authored by Ceres
Forbes: Why Environmental Policies Don't Kill Jobs
Sep 09, 2011
- President Obama unveiled his jobs proposal last night and among many strong points, he rebuffed the naysayers who disparage the key role that clean technology jobs have in America’s revival.
The Hill: Energy Projects Generate Jobs
Sep 06, 2011
- A bipartisan bill to help both our economy and environment is emerging in Congress — in these days of hyper-gridlock, the effort deserves our full support. The bill restores a popular financing program, Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE), to improve energy efficiency in homes and businesses across the country.
Forbes: Investor Giant CalPERS Wrestles With Real-Life Challenge of ESG
Aug 22, 2011
- CalPERS has long been an innovator in the ESG space, but early this year it decided to scale those efforts by committing to across-the-board ESG integration. Last week in Sacramento, board members got a two-hour preview of what this mammoth undertaking will likely entail.
Triple Pundit: So Your Company has a Stakeholder Team, Now What?
Aug 03, 2011
- Stakeholder engagement is a critical process that helps companies build credibility, improve performance and get out ahead in addressing emerging environmental, social and governance issues. In this blog post, Ceres offers advice for companies looking to make the most of their engagements.
The Hill: New Gas Mileage Standards Will Boost the Economy
Aug 02, 2011
- By setting an average standard of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025 for passenger vehicles, the Obama administration has done right by America’s economy. Higher gas mileage and greenhouse gas (GHG) standards will spur innovation, create jobs and save drivers money at the pump.
Forbes: Time to Replace Eisenhower-Era Power Plants
Jul 22, 2011
- Most of us won’t put up with decades-old technology. Yet when it comes to our electricity, we’re stuck with last century’s dirty and inefficient power plants—even though cleaner and newer technologies are available. It’s time for our electric power industry to embrace the 21st century with modern, cleaner power generation.
Forbes.com: Economists Urge Honest Accounting of Carbon’s True Costs
Jul 15, 2011
- With all eyes riveted on the debt talks and efforts to avert an economy-busting government default, little attention is being paid to another debt that is similarly ballooning out of control and threatening to spur its own economic chaos. The carbon debt.
Forbes.com: Investors Tackle Fracking And Water Scarcity Risks
Jun 29, 2011
- The Lone Star state just joined Colorado, Arkansas and Pennsylvania in requiring oil and gas companies to come clean on the chemicals they use in hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” the controversial natural gas drilling practice that’s sweeping the country and raising myriad environmental problems.
Mother Nature Network: Water Scarcity Means Business for Companies & Investors
Jun 15, 2011
- Growing pressure on our most precious resource – clean, potable water – is creating a new set of challenges that will quite literally impact things basic to everyday life, such as eating, drinking and turning on the lights.
Forbes.com: Strong Fuel Economy Standards Will Fuel America’s Economy
Jun 08, 2011
- This spring, California’s Air Resources Board (ARB) is working jointly with federal officials on one of this year’s biggest energy and environmental decisions – stronger nationwide fuel economy standards.
Forbes.com: Companies, Investors Band Together to Catalyze a Sustainable Economy
May 27, 2011
- From Wall Street to business associations, recognition is growing that the long-term viability of business depends on how quickly we develop and support solutions that use fewer resources and cleaner energy. That’s what sustainable capitalism is all about: generating financial return in a long-term and responsible manner.
The Hill: Demanding stricter fuel economy
May 25, 2011
- In surveys we conducted over the last year, Americans express a clear preference for much higher fuel economy standards. Just last month, for Ceres, we explored attitudes in the heart of the industrial Midwest and the headquarters of America’s auto industry — Ohio and Michigan — where we found overwhelming support for at least a 60 miles per gallon standard.
How Timberland, Levi's Use Teamwork to Advance Sustainability
May 09, 2011
- Businesses can't take on complex environmental and social issues without input from the full spectrum of stakeholders ranging from NGOs and community groups to their suppliers, employees and investors.
Sustainability: Ending the ‘Tyranny of Short-Termism’
Mar 31, 2011
- In addition to the economic crisis, businesses operating in our global economy face colossal environmental and social challenges – climate change, energy and water constraints, population pressures, rising consumer expectations and endemic poverty, to name just a few.
Canadian Companies Pushed to Green Up Their Disclosure to Investors
Mar 22, 2011
- Canada's stock exchanges list some of the most energy-intensive companies in the world, including hundreds of miners, like Barrick Gold and Teck Resources. The Toronto Stock Exchanges alone have handled more than 80% of worldwide mining equity transactions over the past five years.
Sustainability Must Drive Business Success
Mar 14, 2011
- Mindy Lubber of Ceres blogs about the importance of sustainability in the 21st century business world as a strategy of success.
The Color of Money: Green is Green in Colorado
Mar 14, 2011
- Mindy Lubber of Ceres blogs about the ‘Race for American Jobs’ event held last week in Denver, Colorado
Banks Should Finance Energy Efficiency Loans, Not Subprime Mortgages
Mar 14, 2011
- Mindy Lubber of Ceres blogs about how banks and financial institutions can refurbish their tarnished reputations by innovating new financial products that actually help average Americans.
Drive Less, Pay Less: Win-Win for Consumers & Climate
Mar 14, 2011
- Mindy Lubber of Ceres blogs about the benefits of a car insurance based on the miles you drive. Pay-As-You-Drive (PAYD) was a hot topic at the National Association of Insurance Commissioner's Climate Risk Summit in San Francisco last week.
The Arena: Copenhagen Climate Conference Edition
Mar 14, 2011
- Mindy Lubber of Ceres blogs about why U.S. businesses want strong climate action in Copenhagen.