Senior Manager, California Policy and Partnerships
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres is looking to hire a full-time Senior Manager based in San Francisco, CA, who will report to the Director of Ceres’ California Office and have expertise in California’s water and climate change issues plus familiarity with California state policy. This Senior Manager is a cross-program role that will work closely with the Ceres program staff based in Boston. Initially, this role will most closely work with the Policy and Water Programs to mobilize major corporations in support of public policies that call for sustainable water management, clean energy and greenhouse gas emissions reductions in California.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership role in supporting Ceres’ policy initiatives in California, including outreach, recruitment and engagement with California-based companies that are committed to advocacy and sustainable business practices. Responsibilities include:
- Identify new company partners.
- Cultivate relationships with senior-level company contacts.
- Help manage existing company relationships.
- Keep up to date with sustainability-related developments at partner companies.
- Mobilize companies on key advocacy opportunities.
- Identify success stories on sustainability.
- In close partnership with the Policy and Water Programs, execute Ceres’ strategy for California state policy work, focus on sustainable water management reform and policies that promote clean transportation, clean energy and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. Responsibilities include:
- Be point person on California state policy developments and serve as primary resource on these issues for Ceres.
- Collaborate with local NGO and foundation partners.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key state policymakers, local NGOs and foundations.
- Support in outreach and dissemination of Ceres’ work in California, including designing and implementing workshops, webinars/conference calls, newsletters and other multi-media communications to reach companies, investors, policy makers and donors.
- In close partnership with Director, collaborate on execution of strategy and objectives for Ceres’ California office.
- Collaborate with Communications team to:
- Develop op-eds that highlight the role of business and investors in advancing sustainability.
- Design and execute engagement events with companies, investors, policymakers and funders.
- Capture and communicate specific results of Ceres’ California work and that of our partners.
- Represent Ceres and speak at conferences and events in California.
- Contribute to meeting revenue commitments of Ceres through supporting fundraising initiatives with individual, corporate and/or foundation contacts.
- Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference program and other events.
- Coordinate with other program teams as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Master’s degree in business, environment, finance, law or public policy or related field preferred.
- Seven years or more of direct experience working on water or sustainability issues in the corporate, investor and/or nonprofit sectors, or a bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years relevant experience.
- In-depth knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and an understanding of corporate perspectives.
- Knowledge of California environmental policy arena, with relevant experience.
- Self-starter focused on execution, with ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to make strong connections between sustainability issues and articulate the impacts and implications for corporate and investor actions.
- Demonstrated ability to bring advocacy perspective to corporate dialogues will be viewed as beneficial.
- Demonstrated project management, business planning skills and attention to detail is required.
- Effective presentation with strong oral and written communication skills for external and internal audiences.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects, coordinating and facilitating dialogues with senior-level professionals and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take a collaborative approach to working across the organization.
- Planning and prioritization skills with ability to make adjustments to work and still deliver projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter specifying how you learned of opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to put “Senior Manager, California Policy and Partnerships” in subject line of e-mail.