Senior Associate, Sustainable Agriculture
Ceres is looking to hire a Senior Associate to support the Food and Capital Markets program. The position will initially focus on addressing issues related to overfishing and deforestation and will report to the Program Director, Food and Capital Markets.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Educate and support members of Ceres’ Investor Network and international investor partners on issues related to deforestation and unsustainable fishing, including research on companies in impacted sectors, coordination of investor engagement with companies, and group advocacy efforts.
- Serve as a resource on deforestation and fisheries to other program teams through research, analysis, drafting resolutions, and memos.
- Support the production and delivery of deforestation-risk commodity and fisheries reporting and guidance projects to investors and other Ceres stakeholders.
- Engage and help manage relationships with key external NGO partners working on unsustainable fishing and deforestation issues.
- Research and explore additional sustainable agriculture issues and/or strategies for Ceres’ work with investors.
- Work with Program Director and Ceres’ Communications Team to manage, review and update sustainable agriculture content, such as deforestation and fisheries, on Ceres website, newsletters, or publications.
- Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference program and other events to educate stakeholders on sustainable agriculture issues.
- Assist Program Director with hiring and training interns working on sustainable agriculture.
- Support the Program Director and Foundations Team with content on proposals, progress reports, and funder education.
- Maintain and regularly update our Food and Investor database and Salesforce tracking systems to ensure contacts, meetings, deliverables and other important information is tracked and available.
- Conduct personal administrative activities and provide support to Program Director, as requested;
- Participate in Food & Capital Markets activities such as regular coordination of meetings, quarterly and annual program reviews, and annual planning meetings;
- Organize or coordinate special projects, as requested by Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required. International development or global volunteer experience desirable.
- Four to five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in investment or nonprofit sectors on sustainability-related issues. Agriculture and/or commodity experience a plus.
- An understanding of financial markets and investment firms, financial institutions, or institutional investors.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific applications necessary for work: ReadyTalk, Salesforce, listserv program, Bloomberg Terminal, etc.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the words “Senior Associate, Food and Capital Markets” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.