Director of Development
The Director of Development is responsible for overall management of the individual giving program, with a specific focus on major gifts, growth and stewardship of Ceres 1000, and fundraising and cultivation events. He/she will supervise the Annual Fund Manager, share supervision of a Development Assistant and Development Associate, and work as part of a ten-person development department. The Director will report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO). He/she will also work closely with the Ceres’ President, the President’s Council (an advisory board focused on resource development), and the Board Development Committee, and will be involved in the planning and execution of an anticipated multiyear campaign in 2017-2020. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced development professional to take a rapidly growing individual donor program to the next level.
Manage and grow Ceres’ individual giving program.
- In concert with the CDO, develop annual and multiyear strategies and plans to grow individual giving revenue, including annual fund, major gifts, direct mail and online fundraising campaigns, and special events. This includes developing and monitoring projections for individual giving revenue.
- Oversee the development and execution of donor renewal and acquisition campaigns. Monitor progress toward revenue goals and analyze results to refine strategies and tactics.
- Oversee development operations, including donor acknowledgement and stewardship systems and optimal use of Ceres’ Salesforce database.
- Develop and execute strategies to steward and expand the Ceres 1000, a giving society for donors making gifts of $1,000 or more annually to Ceres.
- Plan and execute cultivation and fundraising events with the support of the Events team.
- Partner with the Communications team to expand Ceres’ visibility, brand, and outreach.
- Work with the CDO on plans for a multiyear, comprehensive fundraising campaign, 2017-2020.
- Expand Ceres’ major donor program and systems.
- Work with the CDO, President, and other key stakeholders to identify, build and cultivate a pipeline of major donor prospects.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and personally steward major donors ($5,000 plus level) with individualized development strategies.
- Position the President and CDO to cultivate, solicit and steward Ceres’ highest-level individual donors. Support them as needed with donor strategy, briefings, talking points, and other development collateral.
- Prepare proposals as necessary for major donors and prospects.
- Sustain and improve the major donor pipeline and systems; help ensure full and effective utilization of Ceres’ Salesforce database.
- Oversee efforts to build and maintain up-to-date profiles for current donors and to utilize prospect research effectively.
- Stay abreast of Ceres’ programs in order to represent the organization effectively with external constituents and link donor interests to Ceres’ programmatic priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years fundraising experience in roles of progressive responsibility, including team management/supervisory experience.
- Track record in growing successful individual donor programs. Must possess strategic and creative ability to identify and implement fundraising strategies to grow individual giving revenue.
- Demonstrated success in closing five and six-figure gifts.
- 3+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
- Motivational manager that can stimulate effective action by and collaboration among colleagues.
- Experience with CRM systems required; knowledge of Salesforce desirable.
- Experience with all aspects of individual giving, from annual fund to major gifts, to events and planned giving, strongly preferred.
- Experience planning and executing fundraising events strongly preferred.
- Experience with/knowledge of planned giving preferred.
- Experience with comprehensive or capital campaigns preferred.
- A confident and poised demeanor, demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with high net worth donors and prospects.
- Superior organizational, planning, and team management skills.
- Passion for Ceres’ mission and ability to inspire others in that mission.
- Willingness to travel domestically as needed to meet with donors and prospects.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review the Ceres website to familiarize themselves with the mission before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the words “Director of Development” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.