Chief Financial Officer
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Ceres is seeking a Chief Financial Officer to lead financial management and oversight in a fast-paced, not-for-profit, organization with a $9+ million budget. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional to build on Ceres’ solid achievements in promoting a market-oriented change agenda, in engaging businesses and investors, and in mobilizing them to take action in ways that further the public and environmental good.
The Chief Financial Officer will report to Ceres’ President and will frequently collaborate with Ceres’ Executive Director/COO, Chief Development Officer, and Director of Human Resources and Operations. The position will sit on the Ceres Executive and Leadership Teams. The Chief Financial Officer will supervise the Finance team and work closely with the Development Team and budget directors. This role is also accountable to Ceres’ Board of Directors.
Specifically, the Chief Financial Officer will:
- Oversee finances and financial management of Ceres, including ongoing evaluation of financial and accounting systems.
- Lead strategic financial planning for key revenue lines and organization-wide financial projections.
- Manage and supervise Finance team, including recruitment, hiring, training, conducting reviews and terminating staff.
- Serve on Executive and Leadership Teams.
- Develop annual budget/operating plan, including mid-year adjustments, in consultation with the Executive Team and budget directors.
- Work closely with Chief Development Officer on developing annual and multi-year philanthropic projections.
- Partner with Foundation staff and budget directors in building grant proposal budgets, developing and refining a methodology for allocation of grant awards to program areas.
- Final review and sign-off on grant proposal budgets.
- Review and sign vendor and consultant contracts.
- Meet quarterly with budget directors to assess budget progress, update current year projections, and maintain a 12-month rolling projection.
- Accountable to Ceres’ Board and Finance, Audit, and Executive Committees on financial matters. Staff Board Finance Committee in budgeting, investment, and planning duties.
- Partner with Director of Human Resources & Operations on annual review of staff compensation.
- Develop and oversee grants management system.
- Serve as primary check signer and authorize wire transfers.
- Review audit schedules prepared by Finance staff.
- Develop the financial section of Ceres’ annual report in consultation with Communications and Development staff.
- Ensure financial and travel policies & procedures are current and represent best practices.
- Graduate degree in relevant area, required.
- The ideal candidate will be a CPA; being a CMA will be a plus.
- 15 years of relevant, professional financial management experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior leadership position.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector required.
- Proven track record of building or implementing financial systems to support organizational needs.
- Experience with cultivating trusting relationships with colleagues
- Demonstrated experience as an effective supervisor
- Ability to work well with a range of personalities
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with an emphasis on explaining financial matters to non-financial colleagues.
HOW TO APPLY
We urge all applicants to review the Ceres website (www.ceres.org) and familiarize themselves with Ceres programs and operations before applying.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org summarizing your interest in Ceres, how you would fit into the role, and how you learned of this opportunity. Be sure to put “Ceres CFO” in subject line of email. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.