The Associate position on Ceres’ Foundation Development team is a strong fit for a highly motivated candidate interested in working in a mission-driven, dynamic and fast-moving organization that has been recognized as one of the most effective environmental NGOs in the world. The position has significant growth potential with opportunities for increasing responsibility over time.
The ideal candidate will have excellent analytical, writing and personal communication skills, be a fast learner, and able to manage challenging and competing deadlines.The Associate will be an integral part of a five-person team that manages a large portfolio of foundation funders and prospective funders. The Associate will report to the Senior Manager of Foundation Development.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide support to senior members of the Foundation Team including;
- Assist Foundation Team members and program staff in preparing and submitting letters of inquiry and proposals across select program areas;
- Research potential foundation funders and evaluate fit with Ceres’ programs.
- Support communication of breaking news, key successes, and timely invitations to events to advance foundation relationships:
- Schedule internal meetings with program staff and external meetings with foundations;
- Participate in internal and external meetings to capture key points and next steps through writing and distributing notes.
- Provide project management and writing support to ensure timely development of foundation reports that clearly articulate the activities, outcomes and impact of select Ceres’ programs (Climate & Energy, others TBD) achieved with the foundation grant award:
- Work closely with senior foundation staff and staff of select programs to track, assess and document progress towards programmatic goals;
- Process grant agreements and draft thank you letters, and update Salesforce with reporting deadlines;
- Track, manage and meet foundation reporting deadlines to assure compliance with funder reporting requirements;
- Provide program and finance team staff with appropriate advance notice of proposal and reporting deadlines and follow up to ensure requested materials are produced in a timely manner;
- Coordinate implementation of email blasts to funders with direction from senior members of the foundation team, using Salesforce.
- Manage the Foundation Team’s contact records in Salesforce database, running reports and analyzing results (e.g., for foundation email blasts and foundation RSVP’s to events).
- Work with colleagues on Foundation, Communications and Water/CA teams to develop and implement system for capturing “best press” and other evidence of Ceres’ impact.
- Coordinate support for Ceres’ senior directors and executive’s development efforts, including:
- Track travel schedules of senior directors and executives to identify opportunities for donor visits;
- Join calls with Ceres senior program and executive staff to take notes and assist with timely follow up;
- Coordinate preparation of briefing materials for meetings with foundation funders and prospects.
- Serve as the Foundation Team’s liaison to CA office on coordination of development efforts.
- Participate in the creation of the Foundation Team’s annual workplan, critical to Ceres’ growth;
- Assist with planning and logistics for the Ceres annual conference program and other events
- Oversee special projects as assigned by the Senior Manager, Foundation Development
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 2 - 3 years of work experience;
- One or more years of experience in a relevant field such as foundation fundraising/development desired;
- Excellent organizational abilities; demonstrated capacity to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, take precise notes, and work well in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong writing skills with demonstrated interest and aptitude in persuasive writing;
- Knowledge of standard development practices and techniques, proposal writing, and prospect research. Experience in writing grant proposals is a strong plus;
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively;
- Proficiency with database applications and MS Office Suite;
- Passion for climate change, environmental and/or sustainability issues.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to be considered for this position. Please list “Development Associate, Foundations” in the subject line of your e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ceres is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.