Ceres News Feed
Clean Trillion California Dreamin'
Mar 18, 2014
- This year's Climate Leadership Conference was held in San Diego, and for good reason. The Golden State leads the nation in clean energy progress and innovation, thanks to its many forward-looking policies.
Aveda, Pioneer of Natural Beauty Products Becomes 30th Company to Join BICEP Coalition
Mar 13, 2014
- BICEP (Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy) announced today that Aveda, the Minnesota-based manufacturer and distributor of botanically-based personal care products, has joined the coalition.
CEOs face rising shareholder interest in managing corporate climate risks
Mar 10, 2014
- Activist investors will put forward a record 142 shareholder resolutions during the upcoming proxy season asking corporations to strengthen their environmental commitments in areas ranging from greenhouse gas reductions and energy efficiency to deforestation and water use.
Shareholders Seeking Stronger Responses from Companies as Climate Change Concerns Deepen
Mar 07, 2014
- Motivated by mounting scientific evidence that human activity is a leading cause of climate change, major institutional investors are pushing for stronger actions from companies in climate-related shareholder resolutions in the 2014 proxy season.
Lights, Camera … a Call for Action
Mar 05, 2014
- Sunday night I cheered as Steve McQueen dedicated his Best Picture Oscar for 12 Years a Slave to “all of the people who have endured slavery, and the 21 million people who still suffer slavery today.”
When global warming hurts business
Mar 04, 2014
- Some of the biggest West Coast businesses are pushing Congress and state government to act on climate change legislation. But it’s less about global warming and more about their bottom lines.
Insurers Have Huge Role As Clean Energy Investors
Mar 03, 2014
- Conversations about climate change and the insurance industry usually focus on catastrophic storms and their damaging financial ripples for insurance providers. Given skyrocketing extreme-weather losses in recent years, it’s surely a legitimate issue that should be making insurers re-think their business models.
Morgan Stanley Joins Ceres Company Network
Feb 27, 2014
- Ceres announced today that its board of directors has approved Morgan Stanley, a leading global financial services firm, as the newest member of the Ceres company network.
Apple, San Diego International Airport, SolarCity and Sapphire Energy Join Call for U.S. Action on Climate Change
Feb 25, 2014
- As California battles the worst drought in centuries, more than a dozen major businesses joined with more than 120 California-based companies in signing the Climate Declaration.
How to Save Water on Fracking
Feb 24, 2014
- Among the environmental worries posed by hydraulic fracturing, including the release of methane into the air and contamination of groundwater, one has recently escalated: the concern that the enormous quantities of water used in fracking will leave parts of the country parched.
Mutual fund companies show record high support for climate change shareholder resolutions
Feb 20, 2014
- Mutual fund companies are showing stronger interest in climate change and its financial impacts on companies in their vast portfolios, according to new proxy voting data.
Fracking's water use sets up fight with cities and farmers
Feb 18, 2014
- It’s no secret that hydraulic fracturing in the production of oil and natural gas uses enormous amounts of water.
California’s Drought: Cheap Water, But No Free Lunch
Feb 14, 2014
- Today, President Obama visited California’s Central Valley, which may be in the midst of the driest winter in centuries.
Energy efficiency, cities, and the Clean Trillion
Feb 14, 2014
- $36 trillion in clean energy investment is needed to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. Ten cities are stepping up to the plate and investors are likely to follow.
The Largest Risk (and Opportunity) Investors Are Ignoring
Feb 13, 2014
- Tackling climate change -- and thus keeping the world inhabitable -- is an achievable goal, but it will become prohibitively expensive if we wait to act.
Investor group demands fossil fuel companies disclose carbon asset risk
Feb 12, 2014
- A group of investors with combined assets of over $200 billion filed shareholder resolutions on Wednesday with ten energy companies, including Exxon Mobil and Southern Co, demanding they disclose their strategies for competing in a lower-carbon future.
Shareholders File Resolutions to Press Fossil Fuel Companies on Low-Carbon Strategies, Carbon Asset Risk
Feb 12, 2014
- On the heels of the Investor Summit on Climate Risk at the United Nations, a half-dozen investors today announced the filing of shareholder resolutions with 10 fossil fuel companies.
Insatiable Thirst? The Fracking/Water Collision in South Texas
Feb 07, 2014
- Fifty miles south of San Antonio on Route 181, signs of the hydraulic fracturing boom taking place in the Eagle Ford Basin are everywhere. New hotels are popping up. Trucks endlessly barrel down roads. Restaurants can’t find enough workers.
Cool Response: The SEC & Corporate Climate Change Reporting
Feb 06, 2014
- This report examines the state of corporate reporting and associated SEC comment letters on climate change. It also provides recommendations for the SEC and companies on improving the quality of reporting.
Report: Fracking raising water supply worries
Feb 06, 2014
- The USA's domestic energy boom is increasing demands on water supplies already under pressure from drought and growing populations, a new report says.